steering wheel damper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally spoke to the jeep service tech about resetting my computer for my larger tires... he mentioned the need for a "steering wheel dampener"

what the heck is that? do i REALLY need it?

2003KJ

Reaction score
I've always called it a plain ole steering damper. Probably the same thing, just different generations talking. All it really does is act like a shock absorber for the suspension....so that every little bump you go over doesn't shake the steering wheel right off the column....lol. If i'm not mistaken....you should already have one on there now.... :-k

jackie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is a case of the service tech trying to sell me something I already have? figures ](*,)

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering Stabilizer

jackie said:
So this is a case of the service tech trying to sell me something I already have? figures ](*,)

I do believe there is no "steering stabilizer" on the Liberty. I've never heard of one being installed with a rack & pinion steering system, nor can I see how it would be done, unless of course someone has come up with a hybrid designed for the Liberty. I'll check around to see if one is made.

2003KJ

Reaction score
my neighbors XJ has rack and pinion with a steering damper/stabilizer...i helped him replace the damper a few months back when he began feeling alot of excess shaking in the steering wheel. But XJ's have SFA's....not sure if the KJ has one or not befaice of IFS.....I just threw the idea out there....not sure if i'm wright or wrong.