Standing on your KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bit of a bizarre qu I know, but can you put your full weight (i'm not light), on the bumper, bonnet and possibly roof? I remember I could stand on the bonnet and bumper of my old Land Rover without leaving permanent damage (the bonnet wobbled though when i stepped on it).

Thanks!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh, I wouldnt know. I would say that its not a good idea to try the hood, but im sure the bumper and roof would be ok. I wouldnt stand right in the middle of the roof, maybe on the sides or something. :-s

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on my roof Sunday, washing it. I was on my knees - spread out - so I wouldn't dent it

The bumpers can take my weight.

The hood, I have not tried nor do I want to since I can reach across it from three sides.

Timmer...

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a basketball bounce onto my hood and leave a dent. I opened the hood and popped the dent back immediately. I can still slightly see where it hit.

It may not be a good idea to stand on your hood.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
I had a basketball bounce onto my hood and leave a dent. I opened the hood and popped the dent back immediately. I can still slightly see where it hit.

It may not be a good idea to stand on your hood.
Yeah... the hood isn't strong at all. It is DESIGNED to bend. I had a hubcap hit my hood, and even that much was enough to make a dent.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 230 and found myself off road in a tight spot that required me to go through the sunroof, than down the hood/right fender to get to the front of the rig. Did put a some slight scratches from something in my shoes in the paint. No real problems, it's a Jeep.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
isn't roof supposed to support 250 distributed evenly?
the force of the basketball should be much higher than that, so dent is expected.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
the force of the basketball should be much higher than that, so dent is expected.

The basketball hit the hood not the roof. And the force of a basketball bouncing from the ground, up a few feet and landing on the hood is going to create 250lbs of force? Dang! Not like it feel from 20 feet up.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 200 pounds. I tried to stand on the rear bumper while washing the car when i first got it. It felt like the thing was going to fall off...haven't stood on it since.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol - so for all the hype about Jeep, the one thing that truly beats it is the Land Rover for stand-on-ability 8-[

But that's not really why you get a Jeep!

Thanks for the info - I won't even think about climbing on it!

EDIT: come to think about it I did a nice wheelspin and skid turning into a main road when some b****** tried to squeeze in :) Felt a bit of a drift at the end, then it straightened. God i love my jeep!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
hyedipin said:

The basketball hit the hood not the roof. And the force of a basketball bouncing from the ground, up a few feet and landing on the hood is going to create 250lbs of force? Dang! Not like it feel from 20 feet up.

I am not sure where it is falling from, so...

Oh hey don't you remember my post where a darn squirrel dented my hood when it dropped a nut from the tree!!! I come there is a tiny dent on the hood, after a few days samething happened when I am in the jeep this time hitting the windshield!! so if you think about it even a slight pressure on hood will bend it.

You have to love the old chevies, girls were on those cars all the time, and there were no dents, never. Even in the movies, people keep sitting on them, no problem. Hard as a rock. Now I am afraid to lean on my jeep thinking it will collapse because of no reinforcements..

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
You have to love the old chevies, girls were on those cars all the time, and there were no dents, never. Even in the movies, people keep sitting on them, no problem. Hard as a rock. Now I am afraid to lean on my jeep thinking it will collapse because of no reinforcements..

Yea, and don't even think of doing a Dukes of Hazzard slide across!! Especially if you have a 02-04 model (rounded hood locations).

2003KJ

Reaction score
I've stand on the rear bumper all the time when i'm washing the Jeep so I can get the roof nice and good. I've also sat on the roof (the back of it with my feet resting on the spare tire) and havent had any problems.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the back bumper can handle the weight.

When im out with the midwest guys, we often stand on the back bumpers of jeeps to get them through certain areas. 2-3 guys can be on the back bumper at one time.

They can handle it, but they look alittle bent down after-wards. 8-[

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.