stalling when starting....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc42

Reaction score
OK my 07 started doing something weird last week. After driving home from work I stopped at the store....ran in and out in 5 min or so. When i started my jeep it sputtered and stalled. So I tried again and it started right up.

It has done this several times since but only if I was on the highway for a time and stopped only for a few minutes. If I get off the highway and let it sit and cool down it starts up no problem. It also doesnt do it if i drive across town (off the highway) and stop for just a few minutes.

Anyone ever hear of anything like this happening?

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this very thing happen a few times in the 4 years I've owned my Jeep. It happens when I go in to a store for a few minutes. I go to start the jeep and it stalls out right after it starts. It doesn't sputter or anything. It's as if the ignition was turned off. If I go to start it again it usually fires right up and runs normal. One time it stalled out twice in a row.

I'm thinking it was bad gas or even moisture in the gas. I'm not too worried about it as it doesn't happen often...maybe once a year if that.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Water in the gas was my issue. New spark plugs helped too.

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few things could cause this in my experience. Mine was doing it right after I got gas, and discovered that the evap canister was plugged up. Cleaned it out and the problem went away. The fuel pressure regulator may be having issues as well, I just had to change out mine because it was doing something similar to this when the jeep was hot. I would start it hot and it would run rough and want to stall for a minute or two before going back to normal. The fuel pressure regulator was stuck closed or something. May also want to check the purge solenoid near the batter when the engine is running. You should be able to feel the diaphragm pumping air out of the evap canister into the intake. It could be a lot of things, those are just a few ideas. Also check hoses for for cracks.

dc42

Reaction score
Thanks for the info/suggestions guys. I will check out a few things.

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the TPS i had the same problem with mine and the TPS was faulty.... easy cheap fix you can get a new TPS from Napa, autozone etc. for like 35 bucks.... its held on by only 2 torx bit screws on the throttle body

dc42

Reaction score
Check the TPS i had the same problem with mine and the TPS was faulty.... easy cheap fix you can get a new TPS from Napa, autozone etc. for like 35 bucks.... its held on by only 2 torx bit screws on the throttle body

Wouldn't that throw a code if it was faulty?

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of the time.... but it is possible i had a TJ that was acting up and it was due to the TPS.... It was not throwing any codes at all

Latest posts

Members online