Stalling problems, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jt1990

Reaction score
So we bought a used 06 Liberty this past summer. I replaced the radiator couple of weeks ago because it had a bad leak. Shortly after that it started stalling, and eventually wouldn't start at all. After reading engine codes and coming up with a misfire in cylinder 4, we replaced the spark plug and the ignition coil in said cylinder. That still didn't do anything, so we dug further and eventually diagnosed that the fuel pump had died. I bought a new fuel pump from carparts.com, and installed it. It worked! Like a charm! Car fired up and ran just fine! It still idled a little rough, so I thought there might still be a misfire going on, but at least the car was running. Yesterday, while my wife was driving it, she lost power briefly, but then it was fine. Today (4 days after replacing the fuel pump and getting the car back on the road) it started running really rough and losing power. When I took it back out a little later, it stalled as soon as I got it out on the road. I got it started a couple times, but had no power pand then wouldn't start at all, just like it did last time.

A couple of notes that may or may not be relevant:

1. After I replaced the rad I never got the coolant system bled properly, I know I still have an air bubble in there somewhere because it only gives heat when it's moving (really nice in winter in Maine)

2. When I did the fuel pump one of the rollover valves broke on the tank. Because we couldn't replace the valve without replacing the whole tank, and because it didn't seem to be a critical component (unless the car rolls overboard ofc) we just left it broken with the intention of replacing the tank when we could afford to.

Really need to get this back on the road asap, as this is our only road worthy vehicle right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Idling rough, clean the IAC (intake air control) and port with throttle body cleaner. IAC controls the idle.
I am not sure what valve broke, but any vacuum related issues could potentially cause issues.
Scan the Jeep for stored codes again, anything still showing up?

Jt1990

Reaction score
I will check the IAC. I don't think the rollover valve is vacuum related, just prevents gas from leaking if the car rolls over. No codes show as of right now, I scanned it again after this started.

Thanks!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? It would be nice to know what the fuel psi reading is key on & and how much it drops key off after 10 minutes.

Jt1990

Reaction score
I do have a pressure gauge, and will check into this tomorrow. Really hope I don't need to replace the fuel pump again...

Jt1990

Reaction score
I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on, but I read no fuel pressure on the gauge. The filter is part of the pump, so that should be brand new. Any thoughts on low fuel pressure?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With protective eye wear, push quickly in on the shrader valve, where you connect the fuel gauge, is there pressure at the rail, or is this condition of a bad fuel gauge?