Stability Control Failure Caused an accident

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPD

Reaction score
I do have a Liberty 2003 about 120,000 miles.i bought it new,I had a accident yesterday.
I was just quitting a speed route,i was driving at about 20 milles an heure and i lost control like i was arriving on a black ice spot in winter time,it steady rain at this moment.I was sent into a lurid fishtail and into the guardrail. Damage to the the front and back bumper.i was saying what did happen? unbeleivable,we.re in June not in December ,What did happen?So my Jeep in not so damage.So i say ,I will have it on the side ,to have the trafic going properly.No way it do not start.Why? Safty after accident? So it was towing to my Dealer.I ask them , Where is the safty after accident ? there is no safty. Wondering ? I put on scan on the vehicule ,nothing happen why?They say that the computor might get damage when i hit the guardrail. Wondering ????? Is the computor was difect and i made this accident cause or ? I will see my dealer tomorrow.
(sorry for my English,I am a french speaking)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
What were weather conditions? Road conditions? Condition of tires? Could be one of a million things that might have caused that...

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a post on LOST about 3 years ago where the owner said the stability control caused a wreck. I think it may have been a CRD.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stability control is there to help regain control of a vehicle that normally would skid, however it cant compensate for excessive speed for conditions, etc. I dont see crashing, as a failure of the system to work, I see it as going too fast for prevailing conditions. Same thing with ABS. It doesnt give a permission slip to drive any faster, it merely helps with an extra margin of safety, and allows some steering control when skidding, as long as you are going a speed that would be safe for conditions. I hope those who were in wrecks were not hurt, or recovered fully, but in any case, when roads may be slick, slowing down is the only thing to do. Let the others fly by and crash.

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, it will be a longer stop than if you had slammed on the breaks. Think about it, sliding creates a lot more friction than tapping on the breaks. Like TJKJ said it's so you don't spin out of fishtail into a 'collusion' :). My old lowered fullsize had none of those frills and I loved it, I knew the reactions of the truck even when most would think is was out of control.

Actually, when an object including a tire starts sliding the coefficient of friction drops. That said, on gravel and snow I feel the ABS system takes longer to stop than my foot.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stability control is there to help regain control of a vehicle that normally would skid, however it cant compensate for excessive speed for conditions, etc. I dont see crashing, as a failure of the system to work, I see it as going too fast for prevailing conditions. Same thing with ABS. It doesnt give a permission slip to drive any faster, it merely helps with an extra margin of safety, and allows some steering control when skidding, as long as you are going a speed that would be safe for conditions. I hope those who were in wrecks were not hurt, or recovered fully, but in any case, when roads may be slick, slowing down is the only thing to do. Let the others fly by and crash.

then charge 'em $100 to winch their butts out of a snow bank. :smokin:
$50 for the winchin' and $50 for the House factor (i.e. you're a MORON)

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, when an object including a tire starts sliding the coefficient of friction drops. That said, on gravel and snow I feel the ABS system takes longer to stop than my foot.

that would be the "berming" effect you're noticing. on "loose" terrain like gravel or snow when you lock the wheels up they become plows instead of rolling objects. as they begin to pack material in front of them it becomes progressively harder to push it, thereby slowing you down more than attempting to maintain a friction coefficient on top of the material. This is something you should be able to feel... or at least I've been able to feel in my car on the occasions where I've had to stop while coming down a hill and it's snowy. Note the car does NOT have ABS and I was taught over 2 decades ago how to effectively and quickly pump the brake pedal to simulate the actions of ABS.

Now i'm not saying EVERY stop should be a bermed stop in snow/gravel/etc... but with ABS active you're having that option removed. It's up to us as the driver of any vehicle to determine the best course of action at any instant in time... and NOT a computer. I would love it if someone would come up with a momentary button that I could press that disables the ABS without making it permanent. In my mind HAVING ABS was never the problem... but being FORCED to use it to me IS a problem, as sometimes the computer is just plain wrong.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Grip in wet comes down to traction.
What exactly type of tires did you have on your Jeep?
When was the last front wheel alignment?