speed control at throttle body removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be removing and cleaning the Throttle body next weekend, and while I was doing spark plugs yesterday I looked over the job, and I can see how every thing will come out, except for the speed control,
from the fsm is says to pull the "bell crank Pin" not sure which part that is, forward to wards the front, but not up or to wards middle of Jeep, just making sure, I don't want to break it

thanks for any help

You must be registered for see images attach

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that vacuum hose just pulls right off. Your cruses control cable pulls off to the front of the vehicle. I did the mistake about 2 weeks ago and thought it was the old ball type where you could just pry it off NOPE. Be careful now, there is not a whole lot of plastic there.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, for the help, answered my question, I thought that is the way they said,but before I went pulling too hard, I rather ask first

thanks again

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks came out easily, cleaned it up good, put it back together with a new gasket, coud have reused old, but it was only 7$

here is some pics
and it is amazing how much dirty the back was then the front, looking at the front, I wasn't sure it was going to need cleaning

rear side pre cleaning

rear post cleaning

front pre cleaning

front post cleaning

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really any thing noticeable,
prior to cleaning I had a slight problem of not having the pick up for passing at higher speeds
I had run some b-12 fuel treatment in the gas tank, it took care of that,
then I ran seafoam through the vaccum tube, and then changed spark plugs and pcv valve and oil since it was due
then I figured might as well clean the throttle body while I was at it, it only took about 30mins, 5$ for the throttle body cleaner, and 7$for the new gasket(could have reused the old)

lkwoods

Reaction score
Yes that vacuum hose just pulls right off. Your cruses control cable pulls off to the front of the vehicle. I did the mistake about 2 weeks ago and thought it was the old ball type where you could just pry it off NOPE. Be careful now, there is not a whole lot of plastic there.

I just bought my 05 Renegade and the previous owner apparently did this. :pp:
So what was your fix? The only thing I've been able to come up with so far is replace the throttle body or epoxy the clip back on (not sure how well that would work with that piece needing to move).

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drilled a small hole the best I could into the location the old tab was in. Then I just screwed in small Phillips screw and left it out a bit for the cable to connect to. I will take a picture tomorrow and post it. I have not had one problem with it yet and that has been over a year now.

lkwoods

Reaction score
I just drilled a small hole the best I could into the location the old tab was in. Then I just screwed in small Phillips screw and left it out a bit for the cable to connect to. I will take a picture tomorrow and post it. I have not had one problem with it yet and that has been over a year now.

Wow. I can't believe I didn't think of that one myself. I was thinking abou screwing the clip to the post, but that wouldn't work because of the cable!
Thank you so much! Could you also get a measurement of the width of the screw head for me? So I don't have to go through a bunch of screws for the right one. haha
Thanks again!