Speaker question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock speaker system; to me, it sounds pretty good. Yet, I was wondering about upgrading the tweeters to pick up a little crisper sound. Is this realistic? Would this create any "balance" problems? What might be a good choice at a reasonable price?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the Premium speaker option on your KJ? It sounds like it...I couldn't stand my stock setup and replaced everything. O:)

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say, just the non-premium, standard speakers. I guess the good news is, whatever I do, it will only get better! Suggestions?

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
...I couldn't stand my stock setup and replaced everything. O:)

Same here (biggrin) with an Alpine 9813 , 2 sets of Polk db6500s a JLAudio 500/1 and one 12" Audiobaun AW1200N ............now all I need is a couple 2x100w amps to run the db6500s right , the deck just doesn't have enough power(20wRMS 60wPeak just ain't cutting it O:) )

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say I'm an expert in audio, but I'll give a shot at some facts and advice...

The stock dash speakers are not tweeters, so I'd recommend a tweeter with an in-line crossover bulit in if you plan on replacing them (simple switchout method). The dash and front door speakers are simply connected; not divided into high/low pass frequencies.

You'll have to make custom mounts for your tweeters because I don't think anything exists in the world today that'll make your tweeters fit in your original dash location. It's really simple, though. You just have to be creative.

Any aftermarket tweeter is much superior in power-handling, so it'll take quite some power to push them...and trust me, that power will not come from your stock HU.

If you're looking for just a slight improvement to your current audio system, you should spend a little extra on an aftermarket HU. Aftermarket HU's give off more power than stock, making your music louder and clearer...even more dynamic. Installing an HU is much easier in my opinion, especially with a wiring adapter and mount that usually comes free with purchase.

BUT, if you are determined to buy tweeters... Polk's are pretty nice. They are the most crystal clear speaker/tweeter brand I've ever heard.

=; Be careful, friend...car audio is an addiction. Mess with one thing, you'll end up doing the whole thing.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bonehead said:
eddiev9 said:
...I couldn't stand my stock setup and replaced everything. O:)

Same here (biggrin) with an Alpine 9813 , 2 sets of Polk db6500s a JLAudio 500/1 and one 12" Audiobaun AW1200N ............now all I need is a couple 2x100w amps to run the db6500s right , the deck just doesn't have enough power(20wRMS 60wPeak just ain't cutting it O:) )

Looks like you have the same Polk speakers I do... you're right! The deck just couldn't do the job at 22W RMS. Even my Alpine amp I added won't fully drive them either (but still does a pretty good job).

Looks like you're doing the right thing with the 100W x 2 amp idea. I needed as much space as possible, which is why I went with the MRP-F240 to fit under my driver seat.

By the way, what's in your dash location?

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:

If you are talking about the dash speaker location.......if you noticed I listed the db6500 not the db650s the one I have are the component set up with 2 woofers, 2 tweeters and 2 crossovers. I have the tweeters from the front set in the dash and the tweeters from the rear set mounted on each side of the flip up rear glass.
I used strap iron to mount the tweeters in the dash was real easy, that and I ended up using the factory door speakers as adapters by cutting them apart since the the hole in the door is bigger than 6.5" they say it is.

As far you saying you needed all the room you could get, I kinda killed my room in the rear when the sub when in (but oh how I love the blured vision (biggrin) ) , adding a couple more amps (mounted on the back of the rear seats won't hurt me more space wise much. I do need to start looking at a bigger altenator though, I think 3 amps are gonna push the stock one a bit.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bonehead said:
eddiev9 said:

If you are talking about the dash speaker location.......if you noticed I listed the db6500 not the db650s the one I have are the component set up with 2 woofers, 2 tweeters and 2 crossovers. I have the tweeters from the front set in the dash and the tweeters from the rear set mounted on each side of the flip up rear glass.
I used strap iron to mount the tweeters in the dash was real easy, that and I ended up using the factory door speakers as adapters by cutting them apart since the the hole in the door is bigger than 6.5" they say it is.

As far you saying you needed all the room you could get, I kinda killed my room in the rear when the sub when in (but oh how I love the blured vision (biggrin) ) , adding a couple more amps (mounted on the back of the rear seats won't hurt me more space wise much. I do need to start looking at a bigger altenator though, I think 3 amps are gonna push the stock one a bit.

That sounds like an awesome setup! icon996.gif

I thought about components, hooking up the tweeters in the dash and woofer in the doors, but I just didn't have the time, money, and resources to go through all the wiring and place the crossover in between somewhere.

I got my MTX amp under the rear seat, so when the time comes to load stuff I could simply disconnect/remove the sub and fold down the rear seats without worrying about cargo smashing onto any amp or its wiring (if it were mounted on the back of the rear seats).

(biggrin) You won't believe this, but I used a hard, plastic folder (kids use for school notes--they're over a milimeter thick) and cut it to shape exactly like the dash mount and it actually looks like a factory mounted tweeter.

Anyway, the alternator idea sounds great; didn't think of that one. I would have looked toward a capacitor.

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
I would have looked toward a capacitor.

Opps I forgot to mentiom the 1farad capacitor I'm running #-o

Yea I ran all new wire from the deck to the crossovers and then to the speakers and had everything but the backseat,console,main dash and carpet pulled out of the KJ when I did it (took about 14 hrs taking my time), after looking at the mess the factory made of the speaker wire I wasn't about to use it.

and thanks for the kind words too........................I'm not quite completely happy with my set up just yet(2 more amps and maybe a new deck......hmmmm) but when I am I will post pics (biggrin) .