Spare Tire Relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've discovered that the issue of my rattling in the rear area is from the spare tire. I think the washboard roads combined with the weight of the spare took its toll. Anyway, for those of you that have relocated the spare to the roof, what setup are you using? Also, what is everyone's thoughts on the new Rock Lizard rear bumper with the tire carrier?

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bold move. But on the roof though, that might reduce your mileage, from the drag up there. Have you tried readjusting the bumpstops?
Or even bitch to the dealership, you could claim that as "bumper to bumper" coverage.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My warranty is long gone so I can't bitch to the dealer. However, there's bumpstops back there?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was on the roof, couldn't you put a ramp in front of it to deflect the wind to at least level the mileage?

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
My warranty is long gone so I can't bitch to the dealer. However, there's bumpstops back there?

Yeah, it looks like a spread out "U", on the body side, of the swinggate opening. Use a 10mm socket to adjust it until you feel that it's tight and doesn't rattle any more. real easy.

Silver Streak

Reaction score
I have a real nice Jeep (Mopar) roof rack that is made from steel tubing. It holds my spare tire while i am towing my travel trailer, for obvious reason. It kills your mileage, even with the trailer disconnected the mileage drops a few MPG with just the rack up there. Anything you put on the top messes up the drag coefficient. The Liberty has a reasonably good aerodynamic drag coefficient; something like 4.0 I think it was. Jeep publishes it on their web site under specifications.
I too worry about the rear door hinges giving up due to the weight of the spare over the longterm, but in all fairness those are some pretty beefy hinges on our back door. I leave my tire there whenever possible. I am thinking about moving it to the back of the travel trailer so that i don't need the rack on top. I do use the rack for hunting trips, to tie my tree stands and so forth on top. The mileage suffers in my CRD when i do so too.

Silver Streak
`05 CRD Sport

RIPGTP1997

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don;t want to thread hijack here but, I have been noticing some rattle from the rear door/tire when over bumps. I;ve concluded that it needs to be adjusted...How do I go about doing this?