Spare Tire Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting ready to relocate the spare tire to the roof with a Surco rack for my birthday (one month away). What would you all do with the bolts where the tire goes? It had occurred to me to get the holes filled in at a body shop, but I decided against that for if I ever need to sell it anytime soon. I was almost wondering if you could buy another set of the same bolts and paint them the same color as the body. The only thing is finding a way to protect the paint while you put them on. Ideas?

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the only two options you have would be the two you listed. Since you don't want them to be filled, you will be left wiht sticking bolts in the holes. The easiest thing I could think of would be to go down to the dealer, and get some touch up paint, maybe two bottles just to have enough. Paint them first before you put the bolts in, and they will not have to be super tight, so the paint really shouldn't come off all that much. If it does come off a little bit, just take the touch up paint and touch up where it came off and you will be all set.

I can't really think of anything else you could do wiht these holes, so I think those might be your only two options.

Good luck.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this idea a while back, never tried it out or anything. You or someone with enough metal fabrication skills could make some sort of bracket to mount the liscense plate there.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
I had this idea a while back, never tried it out or anything. You or someone with enough metal fabrication skills could make some sort of bracket to mount the liscense plate there.

That would be very cool. Especially if you found the Euro style rear bumpers.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be pretty cool, the only difficult part would be getting the license plate light wiring up to there and make it work with the swing out tail gate. I agree that just about anything could be done with money/time, but I just don't really see anything else that would be worthwhile. Maybe if you keep a high lift with you all the time, some sort of bracket could be fabricated to hold that, but thats just another option.