Spacet inside or Outside?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the truth behind RRO’s statement that their outside of the strut spacer is better because it’s not inside the structure? Outside is supposed to be better because the spring is not compressed to near max. and other lifts are. Like the frankenlift.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, in context it is better because you aren't compressing the springs further to achieve your lift. You are keeping the springs untouched and adding length to the shock tower.

btw THESE ARE NOT STRUTS! THEY ARE COIL OVER SHOCKS!

Stay away from RRO. They are nothing but trouble. You can achieve the exact same lift with Boiler's shims and a little clevis lift. Before you ask. Search. its all here.
You could just get Boiler's 3/8" shims and do some clevis and be done. Then there's no need to disassemble the shock assembly if you aren't doing springs.

There's other options too that someone may want to explain.

edit: I forgot its funny that they don't mention bumpstops with their "under the top" plates. Every page on their Website is an example of how they operate and cut corners. I mean, look at the site, my soon to be 7 year old could draw a better looking site than that.

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also to clarify...idk what u meant by "like the frankenlift" but if rro is trying to claim that a frankenlift is bad for the springs they are wrong...there is no spacer used in a frankenlift that affects your springs...frankies use longer springs to achieve lift and a top shim and clevis lift for extra lift...neither of the 2 extras negatively affect your springs

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
also to clarify...idk what u meant by "like the frankenlift" but if rro is trying to claim that a frankenlift is bad for the springs they are wrong...there is no spacer used in a frankenlift that affects your springs...frankies use longer springs to achieve lift and a top shim and clevis lift for extra lift...neither of the 2 extras negatively affect your springs

Ah...have you ever seen a Frankenlift ?
They do not use a clevis and top shim for lift
better look again

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay… Geeez. Just relax, how’s a newb to Jeep and 4x4’s supposed to learn without making mistakes.
The front’s got shocks, spring, struts, coilovers, I’ve seen them called all of that. I will say coil over shocks from now on.
Anyway, I’m going with Tom’s suggested setup. OEM’s all way round, longs in the back, 2 extra rear upper iso’s per side, clevis, strut plates, front bump stops, (I don’t know if 3 or 4 inch.)
I do believe that they, RRO did send me an email to suggest that the Frankenlift compressed the springs.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay… Geeez. Just relax, how’s a newb to Jeep and 4x4’s supposed to learn without making mistakes.
The front’s got shocks, spring, struts, coilovers, I’ve seen them called all of that. I will say coil over shocks from now on.
Anyway, I’m going with Tom’s suggested setup. OEM’s all way round, longs in the back, 2 extra rear upper iso’s per side, clevis, strut plates, front bump stops, (I don’t know if 3 or 4 inch.)
I do believe that they, RRO did send me an email to suggest that the Frankenlift compressed the springs.

I only said something cause rro calls them struts. They are idiots. But on the contrary I'll stop helping you.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Chill
only way to learn is to ask
there are no dumb questions
although there are dumb answers
which i can say I have gave some over the years
but then the one asking needed a dumb answer so......:whip:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
..frankies use longer springs to achieve lift and a top shim and clevis lift for extra lift...
maybe thats what you meant but not what it sounded like
Plus no way in H will you get a top plate and clevis on anew Franky, maybe one with 50,000 on it but .....:shrug: