Something is "loose" on my CRD...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hedghog

Reaction score
I have newly bought a 2003 CRD and have a strange sound coming from it. I have searched this forum but didn´t find anything that seems to be the same... Here it goes:

It is a scratching / rubbing noice coming from standing still at idle up to about 35mph. Doesnt seems to matter if its in neutral or in drive (automatic). I think its still there over 35 but the wind and road noise are overvoicing it.

It can come and go at idle, usually comes when standing still and shifting to drive from neutral. If I hold the brake standing still in drive and give it just the slightest throttle to about 1000rpms it increases.

If I drive it at lo speeds below 35 and let go of the trottle, still moving, it encreases when turning right.

I have never had a Jeep before and just want some advice about what to check.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May want to check the belt on the engine. If it varies with engine rpm, I dont know what else it could be. Bad bearings on an idler pulley. Bad PS pump bearing? I dont know how the belt is set up on the crd?

hedghog

Reaction score
But it desn´t seems to vary with rpm. Eighter it sound or not... 1000rpm or 1800rpm same "tone / freq" of the sound...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, thats crazy. If the sound doesnt vary with speed or engine rpm, I dont have a clue?

Have you tried popping the hood and giving it some gas by hand to make it do it? Maybe you could pin-point it that way?

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard to vary the throttle on a fly by wire system like the CRDs have, there is nothing there to move to increase or decrease the throttle.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRD4Liberty said:
It's hard to vary the throttle on a fly by wire system like the CRDs have, there is nothing there to move to increase or decrease the throttle.

Sorry, didnt know the CRD's had fly by wire. O:)

Im personally glad my liberty doesnt have that. I believe they went to that on the 3.7's in 07 though.. :-s

Latest posts

Members online