someone keyed it!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
not just kidding keep reading.........I've gotten one set of key and i want to have another one. so i want to know if my 03 has a chip in the key and can i program the remote myself without having to sets of keys?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is the key? You can reprogram another remote if you have an evic but I do believe you need two working remotes to do so. If you do not have an evic then you need to go to a dealer.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
my key is black and nope i dont have a evic.the reason i asked is bc i was looking of the web and it said that i could program a 2nd set myself

Guiitar Man

Reaction score
Not sure but I got a second key made as part of my deal buying my '07 KJ a couple of weeks ago...The paperwork put the price of the key and programming as $196...I hope you can do it yourself cause thats a steep price for a key!

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure but I got a second key made as part of my deal buying my '07 KJ a couple of weeks ago...The paperwork put the price of the key and programming as $196...I hope you can do it yourself cause thats a steep price for a key!

what color is your key?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The following pertains to a 2007, not sure on the 2003...

You can program it without the EVIC, however, you need 2 working keys to add another key.

You can buy a grey-headed Sentry key (no fob, key only) for $20 or so off ebay and have it programmed to work. I did this on my own and have been using it for 2 years straight. Like I said, to program it yourself though, you need two working keys. Otherwise, it's a trip to the Dealer for you.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You scared me, I was about to say "Probably need to have it repainted"....

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Memphis, TN where there is more mud than mounta
I just got a second key from the dealer for $125.00 USD. The keyless entry I got off of eBay for $6.95 + s&h ($13.65 all together). It would have beet $125.00 each from the dealer. I tried to follow the instructions to program myself. It didn't work... or I didn't. Either way, I went to the dealer and he programmed both keyless entries for $50.00. I go to the dealer when it comes to computer stuff. But, keys and fobs can be purchased on EBay for very little.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my key is black and nope i dont have a evic.the reason i asked is bc i was looking of the web and it said that i could program a 2nd set myself

Since your key is black is DOES NOT have a chip in it. If it was grey then it would have a chip in it. You can go to walmart and have a key cut if you want. If you want the neat jeep key you can buy a black jeep key blank from ebay and have it cut.

For the remote, Im fairly sure the dealer would need to program it. You can buy it anywhere you want though.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't need the dealer to program the keyless entry Fob as long as you have one working Fob to enter the programming cycle and get it programmed.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't need the dealer to program the keyless entry Fob as long as you have one working Fob to enter the programming cycle and get it programmed.

Can you do that without an evic? I know its an option in the menu and I had thought I read you couldnt program a fob without the evic.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know if this is an option for you, but my wife and i had a second key for our 02 and 06 libs made at ace. it doesnt work remotely but does unlock the 2 front doors and DOES crank the jeep. cost less than $1 each. just a thought.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
dont know if this is an option for you, but my wife and i had a second key for our 02 and 06 libs made at ace. it doesnt work remotely but does unlock the 2 front doors and DOES crank the jeep. cost less than $1 each. just a thought.

Now how in the world did you pull that off? All '05s and '06s and '07s have Sentry Key. There is no way in the world that is possible. It will crank the Jeep but it darn sure won't stay running.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
well i went to wally world last night a had one cut of $1.77 and its $50.00 for the keys that has chips and mine is a 03 and dont have a chip.

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Memphis, TN where there is more mud than mounta
Now how in the world did you pull that off? All '05s and '06s and '07s have Sentry Key. There is no way in the world that is possible. It will crank the Jeep but it darn sure won't stay running.

I'm as confused as him, flair1111.kopkrab.gif What year is your Liberty again? I have to know that trick. It could have saved me $125 on a spare key.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
my jeep is an 03 kj freedom edition and i was told that the reason i could get a second key so cheap was bc mine didnt have a security system