Someone backed into Jeep-- grille and headlight housing damaged...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, came out to my Jeep today, and my friend says "Dude, what happened here?"

Looks like someone was backing out of a space and hit my passenger side headlight, and cracked (punched, more like) a hole in the grille assembly. Also, they hit the headlight with enough pressure to crack the tab on the top that fixed the whole assembly to the metal crossbar that goes along the top of the radiator under the hood.

I can source out an unpainted (grey) grille assembly for about $78 bucks. What am I looking at for the headlight housing? Do I replace the whole thing, and if so, where do I get them? I can find headlight 'covers' but that's not really what I need. I need the more of the housing part behind the cover-- even though the bulb and interior are undamaged. I'll try to take some pictures so you guys can see exactly what I'm looking for. But maybe some of you familiar with what I'm talking about can chime in in the meantime?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics:

Grille

You must be registered for see images attach

Housing:

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headlight

Just replace the whole headlight. The headlights listed on eBay look like they all include that black piece of plastic that is cracked in your picture.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replace the whole headlight. The headlights listed on eBay look like they all include that black piece of plastic that is cracked in your picture.

Interesting, I'm looking on ebay, and I'm finding a number of people selling headlight assy's with...wait for it...broken tabs. Looks like this is a major failure point for these headlight assemblies. Hopefully I can get one at a good discount, 'cause I'm not in the mood to pay $140 for it. I'm seeing some decent deals on ebay, though.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably going to look into a junkyard. Otherwise I may get one off ebay. Just annoying that such a simple thing is broken, and the whole assembly has to be replaced. I suppose that I should be grateful, though. 25 years ago, I'd have real body damage.

hota_e

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me too. Only I got sideswiped by a Uhaul van. They paid for the damages and since I have to get a new bumper, I am now getting an ARB put on. Pics soon. Yeehaw!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
jnaut.....that is a bummer. I hope you can get it fixed with a minimum of cost.

hota.....when you get the ARB on, I will look forward to the pic's

Dave

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the frame that holds the headlamp and goes all the way over to the other lamp. I think it was called headlamp assembly or something like that...I have seen them on ebay for a couple hundred. My ******* contractor building an addition to my house backed into my KJ in about the same spot with his bucket truck and it cost around $1500 to fix as the had to replace that hold assembly as it had bent and there was some painting involved. My bumper was also scratched but they would not fix that as I had a modified bumper...aka I trimmed it. They gave me a $400 check for that.

Oh yeah, I fired him about a hour after I got the checks from his insurance company for that reason and a few others....like his incompetency...but that is woeful tale for another time.