So You Think You Can Detail.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blake's dream job.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, thats been posted all over the detailing forums around 500,000 times. Pretty cool vid but he does some stuff I would never do.

One of them is washing in the sun.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. One thing i do know is that alot of rich people will spend tons of money on "hype" just so they can brag about it or get a good feeling from it. i see it all the time on my job.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. One thing i do know is that alot of rich people will spend tons of money on "hype" just so they can brag about it or get a good feeling from it. i see it all the time on my job.

Indeed they will.. And it works almost all the time. :rolleyes:

I associate it with ignorance. :)

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and also, it all comes down to the fact that no matter what it cost, you are still just washing the top clear coat until its clean. the clear on our libs washes just the same as the clear on that fancy over priced car. i need to get into car detailing. lolol!!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True.

Paul really gets into paint correction which can vary greatly with different cars. Clears on some cars can be hard while some can be soft. Every car is a new slate.

Pauls pretty dang good at what hes doing, better than Ill ever be since its just a hobby. Just funny he does things that I would never do, like I said... washing in the sun when he has that big garage.

If you think that vid is insane, read through this thread!! What this guy just truly amazes me..

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81391

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before reading this thread and short of clicking on the link, I knew it was the Paul Dalton video.

I knew this link was the Astra detail also.

I still can't understand why people are so dumbfounded by the simplest of things. Paul is good, I give him that, but he isn't doing something that a lot other people can't do. He just so happened to be in the right market area and because of his aquired clientel, he got the spotlight.

I do have to give it to the guy with the Astra on the custom engine bay. That was awesome. However, the detailing job was childs play with a lot of added overkill.

Ya, and at the end of the day it's just a vehicle!
Get over it!
I'm with your here. I am a pro detailer on the side and give customers what they want. If they want perfect, I give them perfect. However, going to the level this guy went on his own daily driver is nothing more than a case of OCD. Sure, I gave my KJ a really good detail when purchased, but I didn't flip out about a sligh abnormality in the paint. It's just a vehicle. What happens to this guy when a rock flies up and knocks a chip in the hood?

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's england. The sun is notoriously weak (and absent). If you lived in England, you be glad to be able to wash a car in the sun.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul is good, I give him that, but he isn't doing something that a lot other people can't do.

There's an important distinction that we're not making. Of course he's not doing anything other people can't do. What he's doing is what other people won't do. And that's the distinction.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's an important distinction that we're not making. Of course he's not doing anything other people can't do. What he's doing is what other people won't do. And that's the distinction.
No exactly what I was talking about. Yes, most of the population wont even wash their car, let alone go that far so I guess those people are amazed at his video. However, there are people who will and do go through all that trouble. Some people just do it to their own cars, some people do it on the weekend for a little money and some people do it professionaly. What I meant is that there are people in the detailing world that can obtain his level of perfection and that he isn't doing anything more special than a knowledgeable, careing detailer could do. He just got put on video.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i was in paint school i agreed to repaint a 85 ford pickup for my uncle. he wanted it jet black.

i thought alright a good challenge for me since black shows everything.

ill try to be fast here in what i did.... so....

after i primed, sealed, got 3 coats of color on, then 3 coats of clear. it looked great, but it was my uncle so i wanted to go even further. a week later after i let everything cure in the sun i started water sanding it.

1500grit sandpaper
2000grit
then 4000grit using a waterbug sander.

then buffed using fine glaze
then buffed again using mirror glaze

after over 50 hours of water sanding and buffing it was time for its final wash before i could call it done.

it was raining that day and all but one bay in the schools garage was full. it was also the only bay that had a car lift/rack in it. i didnt want to use this bay as it would be a pain to wash a truck sitting on a car lift even in its lowest position. so i thought "well, its just a good quick wash and im done, just do it."

i pulled the front tires onto the rack and the wet tires didnt like the smooth painted metal lift and then BOOM!

the tire slipped off the side of the lift and the right front fender hit the racks upright support beam and made a huge dent in it from top to bottom.

i almost started to puke when looking at it.

it went from a perfect show winning paint job to just utter failure in a millisecond.

i pulled it off the rack, beat the dent out, grinded, filled etc...and had it ready to spray by the end of the day.

next day i squeezed for time and knew i didnt have time to match the perfect paint to the fender, so i had to re-sand the entire truck with help of others in class, with 600g sandpaper and just spray on a new 3 coat clear and call it done.

it still came out looking better than any factory paintjob, but still, that thing was water smooth before the fender was smashed.

Last edited: