Slow transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lvmykjeep

Reaction score
The last few times i have had to use the 4X4. It was slow to go back to 2 wheel. And when it did it made a nice big loud thunck. Any one have any thoughts on what is going on? 05 libby renegade

lvmykjeep

Reaction score
not sure what T-case it is. But yes going from 4WD "part-time" high to 2WD.
Thoughts?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you driving straight when doing it? how often do you regularly use your tcase? are you pushing the lever down with a quick stroke just after releasing the throttle?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While rolling in a straight line, pop the ****** into N, then shift to 2wd. After that, put the ****** back into D, that usually helps it shift some. Just make sure you stay in a straight line.

A nice thud is ok.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also you want to double-check the air pressure in both front tires. If they're not within just 2 or 3 PSI of each other, it'll cause enough of a bind to keep the transfer case from disengaging cleanly.

Andy

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could try and change the t-case fluid. How many miles on it and was it ever changed before? It takes ATF+4. It is real easy to do.

Dave

lvmykjeep

Reaction score
Yes i have been going in a straight line when transferring from 4wheel to two wheel drive. This weekends project is change out the fluid. I have been using the 4 wheel drive alot in the past few weeks because of the ungodly amount of snow we have gotten here in Michigan. Andynator might be on to something with the tire pressure. I had a flat about the same time. And since i had the tire fix and so on i have not had the chance to try 4wheel. Thanks everyone for the quick response I will give everyone's suggestions a try. And let you know what i come up with.