Sirius or XM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, the clearchannel thing affects only a few channels, those that are syndicated by Clearchannel. A vast majority of the music channels are not clearchannel. Five music channels will include commercials

From XM Press Release:
Nashville, KISS, MIX, Sunny and WSIX are programmed by Clear Channel. These channels will start carrying commercials on May 1 and will now be located in a new category on our channel guide called "Regional News, Talk & Music Channels.

The other 60+ XM programmed music channels do not have commercials...

-Blu

richardkf

Reaction score
GM, Clear Channel and Direc TV are all investors in XM. Each for their own corporate interests (Clear Channel for content sharing, GM for technology sharing in their vehicles and Direc TV for technology and content sharing through their music programming channels on Direc TV music channels).

XM's music channels, by genre, are less defined than Sirius. There is a lot of music overlap in what they call pop, rock, alternative, dance, disco etc ... meaning - you hear a lot of the same music on a variety of "genre" channels.

Sirius has a more narrow definition of what is pop, rock, alternative, dance, etc ... and then separate from those genre channels, they have mix channels and all things new channels.

The sports channel line ups are definetly a personal preference. Same with Howard or Opie and Anthony.

I have rented many cars with XM - it is in almost every Avis (formerly owned by GM, still partially controlled by GM) rent-a-car.

Sirius, by far, has better music, better channel definition and better entertainment content.

The only one thing that stinks about Sirius and XM is that they claim that the "digital" music is CD quality. It's not. In fact, it's sub-par AT BEST. When integrated in a factory radio, the sound quality is just OK. When using an after-market option with FM Modulation or Wireless transmittal to your factory radio (IE portable units) the sound quality stinks.

Sirius transmits at about 32kbs downstream - even crummy downloads from I-tunes come in better than that - 128kbs. CD quality is 700kbs, or better.

When integrated in your factory radio though, you can do some adjustments on the sound settings to compensate and not have that low grade static and buzz that is there on the aftermarkets.

Go for a Mopar Sirus receiver hooked into your Chrysler/Jeep radio for the car and maybe a home receiver or plug your sound system at home into your computer and listen through the internet - not the greatest sound at home, but free and still not worse than those portable units.

unixxx said:
In my opinion Sirius has better channels and music, plus it has Howard Stern, NFL, Bam and other talk channels that I honestly don't listen to. Note that only the music channels are commercial free on Sirius, not the talk channels. Clear Channel made a large investment in XM early on and as a result they have started airing commericals on music channels on XM. Technically, Sirius should have better coverage in the woods as they have satellites in a higher orbit than XM, but XM will have better coverage in cities as they have more ground based repeaters. Sirius can be factory integrated with the Liberty while XM can't. I'd personally choose Sirius mainly because I like the programming more and it's truly commercial free music. If you have broadband you can listen to both services online for free for three days via their respective websites.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the music bits are also a personal preference, Lucy Fred and Ethel on XM dont really have equivilant channels that I'm aware of. Again, it works out to a matter of personal preference. While what you've noted about genres does apply to to the decades channels (50s, 60s, 70s, 80s etc), for most channels the music is more defined. There for sure is overlap, though.

In terms of sound quality, anecdotally speaking, a friend of mine has an XM MyFi with an FM modulater that he uses in his Chevy truck. With the factory radio, you get zero buzz, no engine whine, it sounds really nice. It may not be cd quality, but from my listening standpoint, it was really pretty amazing. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of fm modulators generally speaking.

Here's some info about XM that I found (and again, this is speculation)

The info that has been accepted as correct is that XM has somewhere around 4.5Mbit/sec of data bandwidth. The music channels are believed to be 48kbit/sec each, the Talk channels 16kbit/sec each, and the T&W and Emergency channels 8kbit/sec each. None of these numbers are confirmed and probably never will be. (based on these numbers, 68 music channels, 32 Talk channels, and 25 Traffic/Wx/Emer channels come out to just a touch under 4Mbit/sec, leaving room for football and the below items with just a little to spare).

-Blu

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the sportser 4 and love it. Ive used both XM and Sirius, I picked Sirious for the equipment features mostly, as i was thinking XM and Sirius would have merged by now. DIdnt like what i got for the price w/ the XM units.

Members online

No members online now.