Side rails on '05 Sport with molded splashguards...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stainz05

Reaction score
I like the front and rear factory molded ('Deluxe') splash guards I put on my '05 Sport. I have thought about adding the black factory tubular siderails (~$315), but the parts guy says the front splash guards will have to go. Has anyone tried this? How sturdy, ie, how much weight, will those side rails hold? Are they just a bolt-on? Thanks!

Stainz05

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i have the chrome tube steps...WITH deluxe molded splash guards (i'll take pics later) the steps are pretty sturdy, i can stand on them, and have jumped up and down on them and they are still up. They just take away from ground clearance when u go off road, but suprisingly enough, the one time i took it out, it didnt even scrape.

u can have them on at the same time...the only problem I had when I put on my spalsh guards was i couldnt screw the bottom part of the front ones since the steps were on the way, other than that, they fit fine

and they are just bolt on (for what I saw anway, we bought it with them pre-installed)

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stainz05 said:
I like the front and rear factory molded ('Deluxe') splash guards I put on my '05 Sport. I have thought about adding the black factory tubular siderails (~$315), but the parts guy says the front splash guards will have to go. Has anyone tried this? How sturdy, ie, how much weight, will those side rails hold? Are they just a bolt-on? Thanks!
Stainz05

TUBULAR SIDE RAILS
You must be registered for see images

These might interfere with the splash guards because of how close they get to the front fender at the point where they wrap under the vehicle.

----------------------------------------------------------

TUBULAR SIDE STEPS
You must be registered for see images

These won't interfere with the splash guards. They're not even close to the position where the splash guard goes.

----------------------------------------------------------

I have the "tubular side steps" (in polished aluminum) and love them. They're quite sturdy, they held 3 people at once ~550lbs, but I wouldn't recommend that all the time, nor would I use them to absorb impact from rock crawling, they're hollow and they'll crush under the weight of the vehicle. I had them installed when I bought the vehicle and to the best of my knowledge, they're a simple bolt on, but they might require drilling through the thicker parts of the unibody (at the very least they don't drill into the cabin of the vehicle).

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the tubular side rails on mine and I used to have the delux splash guards as well.... no problems having the rails and splash guards on together!

The side rails are really strong. I weigh about 230 lbs and I stand on mine all the time wash the roof. No probs mate :-W

Ian