05 Sport Motor sound??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mthor77

Reaction score
05 liberty sport 3.7 with 174,000. Had been running great. Drove last Thursday when it got down to single digit temps here. On Saturday I went to start it and it is running extremely rough and after running for 4-5 minutes it begins to have a loud knock sound like something is hitting the top of the motor. Ran codes. Says it’s misfiring is cylinder 6 which is back passenger side but sound seems to be coming from front drivers side.??? Any suggestions???

Last edited:

Mthor77

Reaction score
It’s odd that it doesn’t make the knocking sound for the first several minutes. I’m not good with internal parts. Would think that it would immediately start making the knock sound when the engine is started??

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
It’s odd that it doesn’t make the knocking sound for the first several minutes. I’m not good with internal parts. Would think that it would immediately start making the knock sound when the engine is started??
Oil thins out as it warms up. Thick, it acts as a cushion filling larger gaps in bearings and cylinders.