Shopping for a Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trip

Reaction score
Is there any particular model years that I should beware of........and what are the most common problems that I should be looking to avoid as I am out looking @ 4x4......Thanks, Trip

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing much to look out for but balljoints. Any libby from 02-04 seems to be great but they are having some minor problems with the 05-06 libbys. Seems more like ****** programming than anything. The crd was having some problems with the egr valve and ****** programming, but they have stopped making them so if you want one of those you better hurry.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the year, also consider if you'll be happy with a Sport, or if you want to look for a Renegade or Limited. The Limited will offer most or all of the upgrades, including leather (which I do love on my Limited). You might check out http://www.jeep.com and check out the specifications for the different models. I bet you could find an '04 for a decent price with not too many miles on it.

Personally, with the deals Jeep is giving on new Liberty's, you might also consider getting a new one vs. used. But whatever you choose, you'll enjoy owning a Liberty. Their fun to drive, plenty of room, with a great four-wheel drive. I'm not being bias by saying this, but the Liberty is really the best in it's size and class. Plus it's just cool owning a Jeep. Good luck!
(Cheers)

Trip

Reaction score
I have found what seems to be a pretty good deal on an 04 Loaded Limited with Selectrac...its loaded and has only a couple minor dings down low, and the interior is perfect with 41K....for 13495.00...Deal or No Deal?....the only minus is I dont like the factory chrome rims

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hehe, I have the chrome rims and love them! Sounds like a decent deal to me if everything is in good shape.. O:)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trip said:
I have found what seems to be a pretty good deal on an 04 Loaded Limited with Selectrac...its loaded and has only a couple minor dings down low, and the interior is perfect with 41K....for 13495.00...Deal or No Deal?....the only minus is I dont like the factory chrome rims

That sounds like a good deal. I've seen dealers here trying to get more than that for 03s and even 02s. The Selectrac is awesome! 4 Full Time is very comforting in bad weather.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Nothing much to look out for but balljoints. Any libby from 02-04 seems to be great but they are having some minor problems with the 05-06 libbys. Seems more like ****** programming than anything. The crd was having some problems with the egr valve and ****** programming, but they have stopped making them so if you want one of those you better hurry.
Err...

My sister's '05 Renegade has never seen the dealer service department in 20k miles.

My '04 had seen it about 3 times by 20k rolled around.

billweaponsman

Reaction score
gotta a good deal on my misses liberty. 2004 loaded sport including alloy wheels,sunroof, and privacy glass. found it at a honda dealer with 26,000 miles,still has rest of 3/36 warranty and paid the 150 for the 7/70 powertrain warrany transfer. how about 11,700 plus tax. \:D/

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea....you'll like the selectrac as it gives you the 4-full time option.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Dave said:
Yea....you'll like the selectrac as it gives you the 4-full time option.
Problem with me is... I've found that I never use it.

Mine rarely gets used, but whenver a big storm rolls through, I turn it on.

Trip

Reaction score
the 04 i was looking at had some suspect black goo all over the front dif and now I found an really low miles 03 limited with only 15,000 miles on this one and it has the selct trac too....for $13,900....I believe this is a deal if everything checks out OK on this one

I had a Durango with the same setup as the selec trac and I used it always in the rain just to keep the rears from spinning in the corners(5.9), and the techs say you should use it regularly to keep it working right

Trip

Reaction score
I had it most of the day had it checked top to bottom at a Jeep dealer and another bodyshop and it got a clean bill of health.......I wrote a check and drove it home.......sssshhhh......my wifes out of town and doesnt know yet.........

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trip said:
I had it most of the day had it checked top to bottom at a Jeep dealer and another bodyshop and it got a clean bill of health.......I wrote a check and drove it home.......sssshhhh......my wifes out of town and doesnt know yet.........

:-$ This is the old better to ask for forgiveness than permission drill?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
jeepjeepster said:
Err...

My sister's '05 Renegade has never seen the dealer service department in 20k miles.

This was awhile back and some people thought they were having problems when backing up. I think its normal but some people were saying it could be the pump not getting fluid or programming.

Good job trip!! If you dont post some pics in a couple days we will know why. (the wife shot you). O:)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Marlon_JBT said:
jeepjeepster said:
Err...

This was awhile back and some people thought they were having problems when backing up. I think its normal but some people were saying it could be the pump not getting fluid or programming.

Good job trip!! If you dont post some pics in a couple days we will know why. (the wife shot you). O:)

Ah, the transmission shudder while backing up a hill issue. This is also related to the characteristic of the ****** rolling back like a stick shift.

That affects all years with the 42RLE.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
jeepjeepster said:
Marlon_JBT said:
jeepjeepster said:
Err...

Ah, the transmission shudder while backing up a hill issue. This is also related to the characteristic of the ****** rolling back like a stick shift.

That affects all years with the 42RLE.

Well, they put the VLP in there for 05 and I thought that was effecting things.