Shifting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ewilcox11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Limited 4WD. Late last night it broke down on me. Was running perfect when I noticed a whining noise and slight loss of power. I slowed way down and it seemed to go away, but then it felt like it down shifted and lost power. When I got out I noticed there was some smoke coming out of the hood for a few seconds. Now it won't shift out of park. The shifter moves, but nothing happens. Engine starts right up and runs normal. I was fearing a massive transmission failure with the smoke, but it is full of fluid. I have crawled under it and the linkage is moving the arm attached to the transmission when the shifter is moved. Ant ideas here?

ewilcox11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No codes. I've had cars where the transmission has went out, but it had issues before it went out. I've never had an issue with the transmission is this car. Shifts perfect all the time.

ewilcox11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly, today I was informed that something inside the transmission broke. So I'm going to have to put a new transmission in it. First time I've ever had a problem with this car so I guess I can't complain too much. Was about to sell it because it's too small for our family now. So I guess at least someone else won't have to deal with this problem now.

ewilcox11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found several used replacements within 30 minutes of my house with lower miles that what I had. Does anyone know if all the 2003-2006 4x4 transmissions are compatible or do I need to find one from a 2005?

Thanks

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found several used replacements within 30 minutes of my house with lower miles that what I had. Does anyone know if all the 2003-2006 4x4 transmissions are compatible or do I need to find one from a 2005?

Thanks

I'm not positive but think you have to check the number of wires at the electrical connector. I see either a 3 or 4 plug wire listed for used ones compatible with 05s on Car-Parts.com. Seems odd but maybe someone else will be along to confirm.

ewilcox11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually very surprised at how many Liberty transmissions were available within 30 minutes of my house. I just need to figure out which ones are compatible. A mechanic told me they are readily available because there aren't usually a lot of problems with them.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually very surprised at how many Liberty transmissions were available within 30 minutes of my house. I just need to figure out which ones are compatible. A mechanic told me they are readily available because there aren't usually a lot of problems with them.

They made alot of that ****** too. The 42RLE went in quite a few other vehicles. I'd say try to get one with a warranty of some sort once you figure out which one you need. Never really know the condition of a salvage or junkyard swap but hopefully you or your mechanic will check it out good before install.

ewilcox11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. So now my other question is what other vehicles have the same ******? I only searched for Liberty and found a bunch.

ewilcox11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO all of these are the same whether or not they came out of a 4x4? I know there is a 3 plug and a 4 plug. Is that the only difference?

Latest posts

Members online