Sheared transmission pan bolts - how screwed am I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biz999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my 45rfe transmission filters this morning. I used my torque wrench set to 18ftlb to tighten the transmission pan bolts as that was a value I found in some research. One bolt started to feel weird, never felt tight at all, then the head sheared off. I was ultra careful after this but this ended up with 4 out of the 15 bolts with sheared off heads. They're pair together on the passenger side and a pair together on the driver side.

The 4 that sheared never even felt like they were getting tight at all, but loose, loose, loose, snap. I'm confident I didn't just crank on them.

I can just let the RTV set overnight and then hope for the best in the morning. Any better ideas?

edit: with such a systematic failure perhaps the torque was too high...some other sources say 105inlb or 12ftlb so perhaps I 150% them

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea you shouldnt torque them down until after the rtv has set for an hour or two. Then retorque after full cure. Drop the pan time and get some pliers on them. If they were loose should come out without a problem. I am no pro so please some one else correct me if i am wrong.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed my 45rfe transmission filters this morning. I used my torque wrench set to 18ftlb to tighten the transmission pan bolts as that was a value I found in some research. One bolt started to feel weird, never felt tight at all, then the head sheared off. I was ultra careful after this but this ended up with 4 out of the 15 bolts with sheared off heads. They're pair together on the passenger side and a pair together on the driver side.

The 4 that sheared never even felt like they were getting tight at all, but loose, loose, loose, snap. I'm confident I didn't just crank on them.

I can just let the RTV set overnight and then hope for the best in the morning. Any better ideas?

edit: with such a systematic failure perhaps the torque was too high...some other sources say 105inlb or 12ftlb so perhaps I 150% them

105 inch/lbs is the correct torque. So you actually were a bit over 200% if you used 18 ft/lbs. Like Jbergun said, drop it and get the bolts out. I'd think about replacing all of those poor little bolts. I'm sure they gave all they could. :gr_grin:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 12 inch lbs per foot lb. 105 in lbs = 8.75 foot lbs. Oops. And yes, buy new bolts, the ones that haven't snapped yet, may later. But I don't bother with a torque wrench. RTV on pan, snug the bolts only so as not to squish out too much RTV. Then go back and tighten them more after it sets up.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can't grab them with plier/visegrip style tools, get a "left hand" twist drill bit(not bullsh!tting, they do exist, though you must have a reversing drill to turn them). Unless a bolt has bottomed out before twisting, a lefty will nearly always catch a firm bite and unthread the broken section out of the hole.

Bob

EDIT Even if it doesn't work, you end up with a hole to stick an ease-out into.

Kaleb.Speegle

Reaction score
Transmission Pan Bolt Size

I was wondering if anyone could tell.me the size of the transmission pan bolts on my 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited. 45rfe transmission. I need a few, I'm out in town now and forgot to take one out to size it up. I need the length and thread size if possible. Thanks guys!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell.me the size of the transmission pan bolts on my 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited. 45rfe transmission. I need a few, I'm out in town now and forgot to take one out to size it up. I need the length and thread size if possible. Thanks guys!

If a day or two goes by and you don't hear anything on your answer, start a new thread. Replying to a 1 year old thread loosely based on your own question doesnt usually yield the best answers.

I don't know the size of the bolt, but if I were in your spot, I'd call a Jeep dealership parts dept. Usually the parts description for fasteners has the specs listed.