Setting the pinion torque on axle rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivantate

Reaction score
Hi, part way through a rear axle rebuild for my Liberty. Hoping there is someone out there who plays axles or has a FSM.

I got a spare axle with tracloc (lucky find) so I didn't need to hurry the build, and have fitted new bearings and clutches so far.

I am now torqueing up the pinion and find quite a lot of conflicting information online. The actual 8.25 axle has run for so long I guess there are a number of configurations.

I have found 12-15in/lb and 20-30in/lb listed as the correct rotational torque after crushing the washer.
I was going to hedge my bets and go between 15-20.

I slipped it past that and am at 22-25in/lb.
I was already showing about 8in/lb before the bearings were fully seated, which I think was mainly from the seal. If I subtract that, I am not far off.

Any advice?

Thanks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
2004 Trac-Lok FSM States: New Bearings: 1 to 5 N·m (10 to 30 in. lbs.).
You should be fine then..

ivantate

Reaction score
Thanks, that's excellent.
Its actually a 2004 axle too, which I probably should have said.

I will do the first few short break in runs and check the temperature to make sure its all good.
I am now thinking caliper/springs/shocks......just to finish off the rear end.

Old axle is noisy after 106k, but I will keep it/leave it complete incase I have to swap back for any reason!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that the trac-loks does require a 4 oz limited slip additive.
58494[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Regular dino gear lube, 75W-90. I trailer a boat and like the Lucas 85W-140 in my trac-lok diff.
The rear 8.25 gear lubes should be changed every 20k miles !

Attachments

• Limited%20Slip%20Additive.jpg
    Limited%20Slip%20Additive.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0

ivantate

Reaction score
Yep, already got some to soak the clutches before installing them. Managed to swap them out using a couple of big bolts and washers.

Looking at the gunk I don't think the oil had been changed in this old axle I picked up particularly often.
Guessing its rare to find a liberty that has been looked after now, especially one being broken for parts.