Selec-Trac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey for those of you with selec-trac, when you put it into full time mode for normal driving, do you feel or hear anything? i was out on a dirt road last night and decided to put it into 4wd just to get that used a little bit, and I didnt hear anything. The only indication I had that it was in full time was the instrument panel light.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In fulltime, you will hear more drivetrain noise.. Thats about it.

Sometimes when I shift from fulltime to 2wd, I will get a clunk which means it shifted back to 2wd.. O:)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you dont really hear a thunk usually when its engaging, like you would with 4Lo?

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clunk or thunk either engaging or disengaging for me, but I have only done it twice. I'll have more experience with it in a few weeks when we get some light snow.

cowpie1

Reaction score
desertkj said:
Hey for those of you with selec-trac, when you put it into full time mode for normal driving, do you feel or hear anything? i was out on a dirt road last night and decided to put it into 4wd just to get that used a little bit, and I didnt hear anything. The only indication I had that it was in full time was the instrument panel light.

We live on a gravel road and use the Part time quite frequently and the Full time often on our farm and I have never noticed much noise difference. I would question any noise other than a slight increase in drivetrain noise.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
In fulltime, you will hear more drivetrain noise.. Thats about it.

Sometimes when I shift from fulltime to 2wd, I will get a clunk which means it shifted back to 2wd.. O:)

??? :-s

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kept saying on a few other forums, that I love the way my jeep kind of growls and purrs whenever it is in 4x4 Full Time, it sounds like "together" and solid. People said there is no difference in sound, I told them to get their ears checked. It is slightly noisier, and i LOVE that noise! Just remove the muffler, you got a winner.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No audible difference that I have noticed, but the vehicle seems to feel more rigid when in any of the 4WD modes.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I've got nothing to worry about. It just seemed really quiet and I wasnt sure if it was supposed to be that way. Might have to officially test it this weekend with my new lift though. O:)

Stankleberry

Reaction score
I have had my 06 Liberty Limited for a few weeks now. The other day, I was using the full time 4WD in the rain. As I was making a very sharp turn from a stop, the Jeep felt like it didn't want to go. I gave it more gas, and there was a pop of some sort that came from the front wheels area.

I assume it was the same sort of pop that is experienced when using part time 4WD in non-loose driving conditions. Should that sort of thing happen in full time 4WD when making a very sharp turn?

I haven't noticed anything not working properly after the pop, I used the full time 4WD the next time I drove it, to see if it was messed up.

I asked one of the sales guys at the dealer and he thought it was probably the ABS kicking in. I think he just didn't know what he was talking about, I wasn't braking, and I was going 3 mph and not slipping.

So should I bring it back to the dealer and have them take a look, or is it normal for full time 4WD to do a little popping when making very extreme turns?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
ABS??!?!?! they love to say stuff that they know, when they have no clue what we are talking about.. some of them have NO clue about anything they still like to talk, because you asked them! dealers do not have "not sure about that, let me ask someone else" or "tell me more about it" in their phrase book (*,)

Are you sure it was in 4x4 FULL TIME and not 4HI ?
You should not get the pop/skipping teeth while in 4x4 FT. At least not continuously, also it is suggested that you shift 4x4 while moving..

try again. If it keeps doing it you might have some problem with 4x4 ******, if it hesitates to move or rubs tires on the surface even at full time, might be stock at part time ? :-s I speed and take sharp turns at 4x4 all the time, it only skids tiny little bit but never requires push like in PT

Stankleberry

Reaction score
The green light that says "Full time" was lit on the dash, so unless there is something really messed up, it was definitely in full time. It has only popped the one time, but I did notice another time that I had it in full time 4WD and I was pulling into a parking spot, it needed a lot of gas when I had the wheel turned pretty far. I imagine if I had the wheel turned a bit more that time, it would have popped.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give it a dry run.
When engine is cold (when it gives enough idle gas to move) start moving straight in 4x4 FT, then turn the wheels, see if it slows down considerably or even stops..

I mean, in 4x4 PT, I can even hear it stopping me, ggrrcchhhhh..

just compare 4x4 FT and PT.. see if PT stops faster than FT..