Seatbelt Latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having problems with the front passenger seatbelt. The latch got itself stuck down and won't pop back up to put the seatbelt in. It looks like it's a sealed assembly. Am I wrong on this and is there a way to fix this without going to the dealer (especially since my warranty just expired 1000 miles ago)?

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the service manual there is no fix for a malfuncting buckle.
You can buy and replace the buckle yourself.

dnm45227

Reaction score
The drivers buckle on the '02 sticks all the time. I use the key to pull the latch up (stick the key where the blade goes and pull the "sleve" up" and it works fine for a few cycles.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
The drivers buckle on the '02 sticks all the time. I use the key to pull the latch up (stick the key where the blade goes and pull the "sleve" up" and it works fine for a few cycles.

Yep. It's fixed now. \:D/

waggles2004

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2002 Limited. I took it in to be fixed under the Extended Maximum Care Warranty, and was told it was not covered as it was a "trim piece". Since when did Seat Belts and Safety Buckles become "trim pieces"? I was insistent on having it repaired, even willing to pay my deductible. I did a little research, and there is an OPEN Defect Investigation on this part of the 2002 Liberty, as several others have complained of the same problem. With persistance, and the backing of my service advisor (great folks), the part has been ordered, and I'm only paying my deductible, instead of the full price. I'll let you know how it goes once the repair is completed.