Seat removal airbag concern

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drcoleman11

Reaction score
New to this forum, just got a 05 KJ Sport for teenage son to drive. Want to do an interior deep clean and remove seats to really clean the floors. Do I need to disconnect the battery/do anything special before unpluging the wire under the front seats? I unplugged my driver seat in our Jetta without disconnecting the battery and got an airbag error, trying to avoid anything similar. Thanks.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
It may be best to have a detail shop with a shampoo extractor do the carpets. Removing the seats & connectors is not my idea of having fun.
If you must remove the seats. refer to factory service manual here. http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
Removing seats= Yes disconnect battery terminals.
Then tape or clamp both battery terminals together, away from battery posts for 45 min, to drain capacitance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I installed 03 Limited leather seats in both the 03 and 04, disconnected the battery and went at it
As soon as I can find another set of 02-04 Limited seats Ill be doing the 05 to get rid of the terrible Limited seats in it

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No you don't need to disconnect the battery if you're just removing them (unless the seats themselves have airbags) BUT DO NOT turn the key on (power the bus) while the seats are out. If you can't stick to that then yes, disconnect the battery. I can tell you from personal experience that neither fancy newer CAN bus Mopars (pulled the seats in a 2012 Charger to replace the carpet) nor older PCI bus Mopars (pulled the entire interior to replace the carpet and convert to 2012 seats and console in a 2003 Ram) have an issue with it.