Seat Belt Buckle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jclane

Reaction score
Greetings,
I am in search of a rare part, the buckle for the seat belt. My Lib's has a crack in it so whenever you press it down to release the belt, it won’t come back up...... a screwdriver is my temp fix. Does anyone know of a liberty in a junk yard with the dark grey interior? I assume it is fairly easy to remove the buckle and put it back on the seat frame. If anyone has any help that would be great

Thanks

jclane

Reaction score
IIRC, seat belts and related parts are warranted for life. I think it is a federal law that whenever a seat belt component fails outside of an accident then it must be covered.
interesting....the buckle it self works, its just when you push the button to release it, the button does not come up, i keep having to jam a screwdriver into it and pull the button up. if it could be under a lifetime warranty would the dealership replace it?

Mickeychop

Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm having a similar problem with my '03 seat belt buckle (female). Both the dealership and the 800 number for customer service say it is not covered under any warranty and that they would not offer any goodwill assistance.

So my question is if anyone has changed one of these out and if they have found instructions. I've spent a lot of time looking this up on google and in my chilton. I also found a site with a factory service manual, but there is almost nothing about the seat belt buckle.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, seat belts and related parts are warranted for life. I think it is a federal law that whenever a seat belt component fails outside of an accident then it must be covered.

umm no this is not the case at all. The only reason it would be required to be replaced outside of the warrenty period is if there was a recall issued.

Mickeychop

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I thought too...

Anyone know the size of the torx needed? I don't have any torx drivers that large so I need to buy one. Maybe one without a socket (like an allen wrench) since there is only about an inch from the center console to the bolt?

NOVA_Liberty

Reaction score
more common than i thought

i've been searching for this thread for a year! my buckle sounds the same as all of these. i'm looking for a short torque too to fit between the console, but i think i might have to move (or remove) the seat. I do have one that fits the screw but it is like two inches long. i'll check the size and update you!