Screeching tires...Normal? Design flaw?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Rennie, stock wheels and tires, no lifts or anything modified. My Jeep is new; only three weeks old.

I noticed when making a sharp turn, rotating the steering wheel all the way to one direction, I hear the tires screeching on the pavement as I slowly begin to move. It's like the angle of the wheels is causing resistance in acceleration.

I asked the car dealer of this issue. Being a contractor for military automobile sales, the dealer practically didn't know much of cars at all (Aeh) , so he pointed me to the warranty claims center.

The military overseas warranty claims office garage said my alignment is flawless after using "high-tech computerized tests" and they found absolutely no problem with the vehicle. :-k

One know-it-all "car expert" at my workplace says it's a design flaw of SUV's & off-road vehicles that relates to the high risk of rolling over. vertel.gif

This is my first off road vehicle. (dunno) Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes it is normal for the goodyear tires to do that... unforunately. My other set of tires do not even make the noise. So I think its due to the rubber compound used.

Bennett

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would add that screeching is that you are taking a corner (or turn as it is with mine!) too fast for the tires. And the KJ is a big and heavy vehicle.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the stock Goodyears. I had that squeal when turning also with my SR-As and speed had little to do with it. They would squeal simply turning into a parking space.

New tires are silent when turning.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
priell3 said:
It is the stock Goodyears. I had that squeal when turning also with my SR-As and speed had little to do with it. They would squeal simply turning into a parking space.

New tires are silent when turning.

x2 pretty much the case.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice is a lot if I'm in a quiet parking garage with the windows down. It sounds like I'm a speed demon peeling around the garage when I'm really going like 10 or 15. Doesn't seem to affect the driving any, just sounds funny at low speeds on flat surfaces.

garp

Reaction score
Add me to the list.

I'm not sure what these tires were designed for, but gripping the pavement was clearly not a high priority. Just like the Goodyears that came stock on my old Wrangler, the Liberty tires squeel at the slightest provocation and are useless on wet roads.

I can't wait for an excuse to replace them.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Tires, and pavement has alot to do with it also. I find (still on the OEM crapyears) that on smooth surfaces (newly paved blacktop parking lots for example) they will screech while pulling into the space. However, on pavement/concrete (streets, driveways) they don't.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling it was a tire problem. I see that many are not too fond of the stock Goodyears. Any recommendations for replacements? Thanks.

Watty

Reaction score
I would recommend the Bridgestones Dueler AT's as a replacement. Although more expensive than the 'Bad'years given as stock, I have had only good results, both on hard surface and off-road. This fact is supported by the many other posts, both here on KJ Country and JeepForum, in this regard. Simply do a search on tires, and all will be revelled.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it just come down to, the stiffer the rubber compound, which also translates in heat and wear classification, is more likely to make noise on certain ground types, and the cheaper tires that wear out fast because the rubber compound is softer and doesn't make noise while you drive to your deaths?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
eddiev9 said:
I had a feeling it was a tire problem. I see that many are not too fond of the stock Goodyears. Any recommendations for replacements? Thanks.

lots of ppl like the Dueler Revo's
another popular choice are BFG's
I went w/ firestone destination AT

Check out tirerack.com to give you an idea what else is out there

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
absolutely right on the ball, type of pavement and tires.

fuji

2003KJ said:
Tires, and pavement has alot to do with it also. I find (still on the OEM crapyears) that on smooth surfaces (newly paved blacktop parking lots for example) they will screech while pulling into the space. However, on pavement/concrete (streets, driveways) they don't.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, you guys are making me want new tires! I really would like to wait another year or so... [-X

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Dang, you guys are making me want new tires! I really would like to wait another year or so... [-X

seriously, why wait to get new tires.....
they suck so bad, it's not even worth using them up....
i wouldnt even say it's a waste.....

im tellin ya, having different tires, makes it THAT MUCH better

Members online

No members online now.