RRO Combo Kit - Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I have been talked out of buying the Rusty's cheapo spacer lift, but I can't afford their spring lift. The best option for me would be the Rocky Road Outfitters "Combo Kit", I suppose.

Are new rear shocks REALLY ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED for this kit? Listen, I don't plan on ever driving this KJ hard off road, it probably will never see much trail use other than an occaisional dirt road or camping trip. Forget about full droop or stuff.

The cost of shocks bumps the cost of the lift over $100 extra, and with shipping that translates to no lift for me this summer, which *****. Can I get away with it for now and add some nice OME shocks when the budget allows?

Thanks guys.

PS - Anyone here have experience in installing this lift that can give me a guide? Tips and tricks, how did you do it, any problems, etc? Also pictures of the lift would be awesome!

Last edited:

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this lift is not what you really want than it's false economy to buy it. Save your money till you can get what you want. The Daystar lift for example is superior, the Revtec lift also is a good one. The lift requires longer shocks in the back, or you'll top out the shocks. Any replacement shock for the dodge dakota will work, just some are better than others. Up front your taking the suspension apart the put on the lift, I sure would only want to do that once so I'd change the struts while I was at it. It's not much fun so I wouldn't do this job twice or more to get it right.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used RRO's budget lift before I ever found a KJ forum. It cost me a hell of a lot more to fix it than it would have to just get the Rusty's kit in the first place, which comes complete. You can upgrade the shocks for a pretty good price, as well. If you can't afford it, save your money til you can or you'll be spending waaay more than you can afford.

kc7jlm

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but it seems a few people here are bashing on RRO lifts. I have been using there stuff for over 6 years and have never had a problem. Of course this was on a different vehicle but still their stuff is well designed and very strong. THey also utilize OME parts, such as springs and struts in combination with their parts for complete lifts. Lift kits in general are a personnal preference, some make the ride stiffer and others softers. Each is designed for a certian type of driving. Just my 2 cents.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one I know of has really faulted the RRO spring lift, all hat get them like them, though they soon seem to gravitate away from the rear shocks. The big problem has always been the OTT budget spacer lift, I know of very few who haven't had words on forums and discussions with RRO about this kit. It's terrible and they know it is, but years later they are still selling it. Makes me wonder about spending money with them in general, though they are probably a fine shop. They aren't the only shop out there so I have just went where the service and integrity seem to be much better.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
over on LOSTKJs there has been tons of posts over the last two / three years about RRO their OTT lifts are JUNK, and customer support does not exist. Maybe some of their products are good but I would never buy from them. If you want to go that route let me know , the guy that I got my used ARB bumper from had it on his and costs him thousands! Save your money and get waht will serve you for a long time.
BURE AGHALI translated from Swahili it means Cheap is expensive!

Tom

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I have been talked out of buying the Rusty's cheapo spacer lift, but I can't afford their spring lift. The best option for me would be the Rocky Road Outfitters "Combo Kit", I suppose.

Are new rear shocks REALLY ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED for this kit? Listen, I don't plan on ever driving this KJ hard off road, it probably will never see much trail use other than an occaisional dirt road or camping trip. Forget about full droop or stuff.

The cost of shocks bumps the cost of the lift over $100 extra, and with shipping that translates to no lift for me this summer, which *****. Can I get away with it for now and add some nice OME shocks when the budget allows?

Thanks guys.

PS - Anyone here have experience in installing this lift that can give me a guide? Tips and tricks, how did you do it, any problems, etc? Also pictures of the lift would be awesome!

It sounds like you can't really afford a lift kit at this period in your life if you can't afford $300.00 + shipping for the RRO Combo with extended rear shocks.

If your 02 has the original struts & shocks on it, they most likely need replaced anyway, not to mention the springs have lost some of their tension also.

Your best bet and bang for your dollar would be a Rusty's full suspension spring lift kit.

So, if you take the money you have now, wait, and start saving towards the Rusty's, you'll thank yourself later.

kc7jlm

Reaction score
Seen like you are getting bad info. Everything that is on my KJ has come from RRO. I have been nothing but impressed with Glenn and his staff. Every time I called them, they answered my questions. Shipping was fast and sercive great. I have put my KJ through it paces on 7+ rated trails in Colorado (Iron Chest/Chinaman's) and have nothing bad to say. I do agree that the OTT lift is not the best, but neither is any of the other brands like it.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get anything from RR. If you can't afford a full spring setup go with Daystar spacers. For bumpstops, I used hockey pucks for the rear.