Rotors turned, how long will they last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, after having the rotors turned on the KJ, any estimates as to how long they'll last before they start warping again, and need to be turned a second time or potentially replaced altogether? Just kind of curious...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
stock rotors approx 30k, but mostly depends on your driving habits and daily routine.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Anywhere between 20-30,000 miles. Depends on your driving habits..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, after having the rotors turned on the KJ, any estimates as to how long they'll last before they start warping again, and need to be turned a second time or potentially replaced altogether? Just kind of curious...

I think that is hard to say. I dought that they could be turned a second time and be in spec. When rotors are turned material is taken off in order to make the surface smooth, and so the rotor is then thinner and the thinner it is, the easier it will warp. It won't dissipitate heat as well is all.

But since it is done, you will find out I guess. If you had it done at a reputable place, they would have not done it if it would not have been in spec, and told you to replace them. So they must not have been too bad. So you are ok if done at a reputable place. Where did you have it done??

Dave

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah not long, I replace mine every time. I am VERY ******* breaks. I drive the KJ like a ricer. I've put about 60-70k on my libby and am on the 3rd set of rotors. :( Luckily I can change them out in less than 15minutes per side. :)

But turning 'warped' rotors really doesnt fix the vibration your probably experiencing when under high pressure. The warp will come back because the metal is warped, not just the surface is bad. My guess is you'll be needing to completely replace the rotors within the next 20k for sure.

Is it only like $20 to have them turned? If so, Its probably worth it. I know I'm to ******* them to have them turned, my last set had started turning purple in the right light. (like they've been so hot they were starting to forge) and thats why they warp. Get hot, cool down, get hot cool down, and eventually, they arn't perfectly round anymore.

Sounds like you'll be fine though.

I would love some ceramics/slotted rotors, but they are so costly and again, The way i drive; it just wouldn't be cost effective.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just wanted to let anybody getting rotors turned, be careful with Tires Plus, they messed up the front ones on my Durango.....their machine was out of tune. Not all Tires Plus's are bad, just be careful..:D

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All depends on how you drive. I had mine machined down at 12k and they are still good at 38k. Dont plan on replacing them till the pads wear out which will be awhile.

I would not try to get them machined a second time.

Last edited:

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are tolerances so hopefully when they get that low, just buy new ones.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well when I had them checked out the first time my mechanic said they didn't look like they'd ever been off before (and that was at 107k!), so theoretically they should last for one more turning if needed, but I guess it will just depend. Was definitely more expensive than I was anticipating, however. And Dave, I had them done at Alltech Automotive on Route 50 in Bspa--We've been going to them for years =]

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well when I had them checked out the first time my mechanic said they didn't look like they'd ever been off before (and that was at 107k!), so theoretically they should last for one more turning if needed, but I guess it will just depend. Was definitely more expensive than I was anticipating, however. And Dave, I had them done at Alltech Automotive on Route 50 in Bspa--We've been going to them for years =]

You came all the way to BS to have Rick take care of you. You got no problem then. Don't worry about it. You are fine.

Dave