Roof mounted fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

Reaction score
I found a set of the original roof lights at the junkyard. Pulled them off, the switch inside and clipped the wiring harness as far as I could because I couldn’t get to all of it under the dash.

I also clipped the switch wiring about 12”.

What’s the best way to mount the roof lights without drilling through the roof?

How should I go about wiring the lights up with the switch?

Thanks in advance!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Congrats on finding a Hella light bar! As others have said, there is no way to install without drilling. If you can, head back to the scrap yard and take photos and measurements from the donor jeep for reference.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
There was someone here years ago who asked about a cheap knock-off. That thing was held on with double-sided tape.*

As I recall we were able to talk him out of it.

*(It was held on by double-sided tape until you went faster than 20 MPH...)

dutch

Reaction score
I found a set of the original roof lights at the junkyard. Pulled them off, the switch inside and clipped the wiring harness as far as I could because I couldn’t get to all of it under the dash.

Thanks in advance!
I have 5 small individual light on the roof of my Liberty. Been there for about 4-5 years and never

Thanks in advance!

CATCRD

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
I did the same thing with a junk yard light bar and switch. Mounted it with 3M double stick tape instead of drilling. About ten linear feet of it altogether. I love it when people say you can’t do that. Been on there for two years. Death Valley, Mojave desert, 80 mph, 30 mph headwinds through Tehachapi, oncoming tractor trailers blowing by, you name it. Still hanging in tough. But hey, there are certain members who are always right, so don’t trust me.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Depends on the double sided tape, surface prep and weather conditions.

What works in the west won't necessarily work in the east, any adhesive has limits due to weather and climate conditions.

I see no need for baiting and sideways commentary simply because of differing opinions...this ain't Twitter...;)

I posit this: If one goes through the trouble and the expense of getting OEM Lib Light Bars, why not install it OEM? Plenty of Liberty Renegade owners around to chime in, I'm certain.

Dane

Reaction score
Ok, so I got the wiring set up and I'm ready to mount the light bar. Before I start drilling holes I want to make sure I've got everything I need.

I'm using 1/4-20 rivnuts and drilling a 3/8's hole to fit the rivnut. I'm going to put sealant on both sides of the rivnut before I crush them. Then I'll use a 1/4" bolt and washer to secure the light bar. 1" hole saw cut a hole for the rubber grommet.

Should I put some sealant on the threads of the bolts as well? Do I need to put any kind of sealant around the rubber grommet for the wire harness?

Do I need to prep the newly cut holes in anyway before adding the rivnuts to prevent rust or will the sealant be enough?

Thanks in advance!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Ok, so I got the wiring set up and I'm ready to mount the light bar. Before I start drilling holes I want to make sure I've got everything I need.

I'm using 1/4-20 rivnuts and drilling a 3/8's hole to fit the rivnut. I'm going to put sealant on both sides of the rivnut before I crush them. Then I'll use a 1/4" bolt and washer to secure the light bar. 1" hole saw cut a hole for the rubber grommet.

Should I put some sealant on the threads of the bolts as well? Do I need to put any kind of sealant around the rubber grommet for the wire harness?

Do I need to prep the newly cut holes in anyway before adding the rivnuts to prevent rust or will the sealant be enough?

Thanks in advance!
I would encapsulate both sides of the through bolts once installed a good blob of RTV or other silicone sealant would do the trick. Prevents leaks and corrosion, yet can be cut away if need be.

I would also encapsulate the rubber grommet once the wires are through.

dutch

Reaction score
You have to drill some holes , no other way to mount any lights to the roof
There is another way. I don't have the Renegade lights but I do have aftermarket lights. I also didn't want to drill holes, so bought some 3M doubleback tape and mounted with it. They've been on for over 5 years and still as tight as if they were ******* on. Main thing is to clean everything with alcohol before mounting and have it marked off, as you don't want to pull it back up.
I first discovered this method on my motorcycle mounting different opjects. Never had a problem oh anything coming off. I run my Liberty thru a carwash about once a week and have never had anything come loose from there either.
Good luck.
Depends on the double sided tape, surface prep and weather conditions.

What works in the west won't necessarily work in the east, any adhesive has limits due to weather and climate conditions.

I see no need for baiting and sideways commentary simply because of differing opinions...this ain't Twitter...;)i live in Kansas, rain, snow, hot, cold, we get it all. I've had my lights mounted with 3M doubleback for 5 plus years and even take it thru the auto car washes. Has never come loose a bit. Like you said, prep is everything.

I posit this: If one goes through the trouble and the expense of getting OEM Lib Light Bars, why not install it OEM? Plenty of Liberty Renegade owners around to chime in, I'm certain.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I did the same thing with a junk yard light bar and switch. Mounted it with 3M double stick tape instead of drilling. About ten linear feet of it altogether. I love it when people say you can’t do that. Been on there for two years. Death Valley, Mojave desert, 80 mph, 30 mph headwinds through Tehachapi, oncoming tractor trailers blowing by, you name it. Still hanging in tough. But hey, there are certain members who are always right, so don’t trust me.
Well wonder why Jeep didn't do it your way if it supposedly works so well
Because they want them to stay on. Friend I met on here in 2005 came to see me ( in 05 )
He told me he bought one of those cheap light bars and used double sided tape
He made it 57 miles before it blew off and used some expensive tape, warm weather , cleaned roof well etc
What works for a few does not always work for everyone

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall from a episode of Modern Marvels that after Hurricane Katrina, not a single sign that was attached with VHB tape was blown away. Every sign that did **** away was held on with screws

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
One can, if they doubt mind the looks, route the wires along the trim. There’s room if you use the right wire.

As for 3M adhesive, it’s touch and go. Innumerable environmental and user error factors. I’ve seen it last ten years and I’ve seen it last ten minutes.

Latest posts

Members online