Roof Home made Cross Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Thats what i was looking for! I like the 2x4 one tho...haha

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's mine, fabbed from 1" steel square stock tubing. Cost me about $10 to make and they are as strong as you will need.

You must be registered for see images attach

Randal02

Reaction score
Well, I don't have any pics yet, but I have tried 2 versions of the DIY rails with not-so-great results.

My first attempt was the bmrrwolfe version with the clamps. It looked great, like it does on bmrrwolfe's, but the wind noise was horrible.

So, I tried some fence post material, put on some end caps and drilled one hole through each into the existing hole into my factory rails. The fence post rails sat on top of the factory rails. Wind noise was worse.

I don't mind the sound of "pushing" air, but the sound I was getting sounded like some sort of loud harmonics. Perhaps my material was too thin and vibrating?

I'm still thinking of what my Plan #3 will be. I look forward to seeing what your's will be.

alexmolinavr6

Reaction score
thanks for the quick response guys, I will build some soon, I had the same ideas on mind, about the "U" shape clamps, but wanted to see, what kind of pipes were used.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I like what KJ924 did for his crossbar setup.
But I wouldturn the "U" bolts 180º so that the threaded portion was down underneath the factory rack bars.
But that is just me!

Other than that, you do not really need to spend what I have spent on cross bars to get a set of crossbars!

alexmolinavr6

Reaction score
I like what KJ924 did for his crossbar setup.
But I wouldturn the "U" bolts 180º so that the threaded portion was down underneath the factory rack bars.
But that is just me!

Other than that, you do not really need to spend what I have spent on cross bars to get a set of crossbars!

I like those a lot too, they are the cheapest, great looking easier and fastest to make.

I was also thinking to flip the U clamps around, but to do so, you'll have to place the cross bars under the rails, I can't figure out anything else.

They won't look/funtion as good if you do that

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are mine, another variation on the theme of electrical strut, I like this setup because it cost less than $30 and is very durable. All parts have been sanded primed and painted in an off black textured paint. The bars by themselves don't give off any wind howl, a bit of pushing sound but no whistling. With the rack (Black Widow) I get a good amount of whistle at highway speed.

You must be registered for see images

Lima.Charlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's mine, fabbed from 1" steel square stock tubing. Cost me about $10 to make and they are as strong as you will need.

I have the same thing with stock steel tubing and 1" end caps. I sealed the ends with silicone. I painted mine with a whole can of bedliner. Where my U-bolts stick out, I actually trimmed them down with a wheel cutter. I can post some pics as well.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a plan for some new crossbars that i'm going to fabricate this summer... Very simple and easy design. Round tubing, cut to length to fit between the roof rails front and back then have a local shop do a little welding. Going to have them take a washer that just fits inside the tubing, weld a nut to one side, then weld the washer into the end of the tubing so the nut faces inward. Then i will just drill through my roof rails for a bolt, most likely stainless steel so it doesn't rust, and then it just tightens into that nut in the tubing.

That will make the roof basket lower and the crossbars nearly invisible.

alexmolinavr6

Reaction score
I have a plan for some new crossbars that i'm going to fabricate this summer... Very simple and easy design. Round tubing, cut to length to fit between the roof rails front and back then have a local shop do a little welding. Going to have them take a washer that just fits inside the tubing, weld a nut to one side, then weld the washer into the end of the tubing so the nut faces inward. Then i will just drill through my roof rails for a bolt, most likely stainless steel so it doesn't rust, and then it just tightens into that nut in the tubing.

That will make the roof basket lower and the crossbars nearly invisible.

that is a great idea, they will end up great, the only prob will be that they will be at a fixed point, and won't be able to be moved.
I might be moving them, but don't know, I migth end up doing it like that anyway!!!

Thanks for the idea

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah since i have a basket on there i don't have any worries about moving the crossbars so it should work nice! Just have to get my butt in gear and get it done.

Your welcome!

alexmolinavr6

Reaction score
I have the same thing with stock steel tubing and 1" end caps. I sealed the ends with silicone. I painted mine with a whole can of bedliner. Where my U-bolts stick out, I actually trimmed them down with a wheel cutter. I can post some pics as well.

Post the pictures!!

Latest posts

Members online