Roof Carrier - need opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grandbaby is coming for another visit next week, YAY!

Hmmm :-k , we want to go camping, but with grandbaby plus grandbaby's parents, plus two tents, stove, food, and baby gear, I need to shove some stuff on top of the KJ. For way more $ than I want to spend at the dealership, I can get the Mopar cross rails ($165.00), and some kind of boxy thing (for something like $400.00).

Are there better solutions? I kinda like the Mopar cross rails, but not at $165. Saw a $99 boxy thing at Checker auto parts, but perhaps it is too flimsy.

Opinions (and links) wanted.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i think thule sells something where u dont need the cross rails. it mounts on the exisiting roof bars. i gotta go search for it tho..i'll post up again later

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure anything you want to mount on the roof is going to require crossbars (or in the case of the thule kit, it comes with it's own crossbars. I'd be wary of those, however, since they are the same for EVERY set of rails, whereas a real set of crossbars (thule, yakima, factory, etc) will be better fit to the vehicle. I think the crossbars for mine were $120 for the attachments, and $50 for the pair of bars (Thule, see my sig for photos). <plug>Got em at rackattack: free shipping + lowest prices.</plug>

AutoZone, Pep Boys or similar often have large bags that you strap to the rails and just set directly on the roof. They are a lot cheaper than getting a basket or box, but can only be used for things you don't mind resting on the roof in a bag. Probably best for luggage or things in boxes that won't bang around too much.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of baskets, I recently ordered the Yakima LowRiders and 48' crossbars for my renny.
I am thinking of getting the Load Warrior basket..anyone have this? and I was reading that the lift glass in the back may interfare with the basket.
I would love to see pics of some baskets on the libby..
I think Thule baskets may even fit on Yakima.

also I have thule hull a ports and in some pics on yakimas website It looks like that the basket sits on the crossrails leaving no room for the hulla ports..are there any small baskets that allow you to use the crossrails for attachments?
would love recommendations.

edit-------------found everything I needed-----------------------

thanks.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also found mine at Target, but did not need the extension. Plus extensions reduce the mount of allowable weight. With the carrier on, and nothing on it, everything clears.

Natasha

Reaction score
I also am camping this weekend and ran into the same dilema. I purchased a Hitch Platform. It's 60 inches wide and holds a 1/4 ton. Perfect for the coolers with tents tied down on top.

Target sold them online, but I couldn't find a store that had them in stock. I purchased mine at Dick's sporting goods.

Happy Camping :)

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda trippy. I guess you could get the same results by buying a large toolbox, bolting it to a hitch reciever platform and then locking it, but you'd have to remove it everytime you wanted to open the swing gate.
Great idea though.

Latest posts

Members online