Rocky Road Outfitters "Rockfather I" lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblueliberty

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying that the place i bought this lift kit from (rocky-road.com) made it look like this is the best lift kit in the whole world for the KJ. well, maybe the extremely over-the-top "Rockfather II" seems to be literally THE best lift kit for the KJ, if you are willing to pay almost $1000.

I bought the less expensive, 2.5" lift kit deemed the Rockfather I (Rockfather II is also 2.5"). It is quite a nice kit for the money. It included OME (that's Old Man Emu for those who are uninformed about such things) front springs, OME rear shocks, rear poly-coil spacers (for the 2.5" lift in the rear. the front is lifted purley from the springs), and the corresponding parts for installation. Although they did short me two bushings for the shocks, which was no big deal at all.

This is a pretty nice lift kit. It allowed for me to put some fatty tires on there, and increase my off-road effectiveness. My complaints begin here: i've noticed when I go over even speed bumps, I hear a loud thumping noise and have come to the conclusion that the shocks are compressing all the way and the bottom eyelet on the arm and the top of the shock are smacking into each other! i was a bit angry to find this out of course and have still yet to call them, which i will soon and figure all this out.

I did take my KJ off-road and it did handle quite well. I went to a spot that i remember having MASSIVE trouble with before and i just completley tore it up. I didn't bottom out at all and didn't even get close to getting stuck. Once again, my only complaint was that the shocks were compressing all the way and smacking together ever five seconds. It's not a nice sound at all. It sounds like the frame is getting smacked with a sledgehammer.

So, overall, this kit is very nice and great for on-road driving, but seems to not be too great for off-road driving. I am going to try and resolve the shocks issue and I will post back with updates on how this problem may just be an incorrect part or a small upgrade away from being fixed. I'm guessing some OME springs would do the trick, but we'll see.

The Rockfather I can be bought at: www.rocky-road.com/kjsus.html
After shipping, I paid within a few dollars of $450
CURRENT RATING: 6.5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a clunking sound coming from my right rear shock, I added a 1/2" washer to the upper bolt (between the shock and the upper mount) and now all is good.

I remember when my friend was tightening it up when we put in the lift he commented on how there was some play so he tightened it by squishing the upper mount some. Miight be an easy fix if for you too.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have that lift in particular but i have a clunk when i am at full flex. come to find out it is where the A-arm comes out of the unibody, and i also get a little contact of the upper ball joint and the bottom of the strut. hopes this helps a little at least

theblueliberty

Reaction score
on the one side i used the bushings they sent me and did use some washers to snug it up cause there was a bit of give, but on the other side, they shorted me the bushings so i used some i got a schuck's and they were so big i had to shave them down and cram them into the space. and the lift i bought is specifically designed to keep all stress off the ball joints at all times, so i'm quite sure it's not that. it may be the a-arm though and i will check. i did forget to say it is only coming from the rear of the car.