Riding with rear hatch open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Last year I replaced both the hood struts and tail gate ones. Costs under $60 to do them all, well worth it.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine won't open even if Im in park, I have to turn the Jeep off and take keys out of ignition, which at times is annoying.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Key in ignition, even if not running, it will not open the hatch. Have to pull it out, hit the button, then it will open. Really irritating.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven with mine open on hot days everywhere you can imagine. I've crossed cement medians diagonally with it up. For the light, just pop the glass open, then reach in the hole where it latches and click it shut as if the window was in there. The car thinks the window is closed. That whole rear door should have been a gate to begin with, so we could add 10" of cargo when needed. The window, like the Toyota, should roll into the door.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the exhaust. The window is angled up so this wouldn't trap via the window. Having it open could, but the stock exhaust doest come directly out of the back either. I guess you should be cautious.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the exhaust. The window is angled up so this wouldn't trap via the window. Having it open could, but the stock exhaust doest come directly out of the back either. I guess you should be cautious.

If you're driving with the hatch open and the windows closed, their will be an air flow pattern that will literally suck air through the hatch, and will be trapped and mixed with cabin air since the windows are closed. This will cause CO to get inside.