Riding with rear hatch open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I drove my KJ once with the rear glass open. It was a long item & a short trip.

Now if you drive a KJ/KK with the rear glass open won't your exhaust gases come back in?

I've seen Wranglers on the trails before driving with their rear glass open, bad idea. The glass bounces up & down bound to break. I can see that happening to a KJ/KK too on a trail.

sent from my Galaxy SIII & Tapatalk4 beta

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed! I loved that on my full sized Bronco.

I have driven with the glass up when I've gotten lumber and molding before that won't fit in the KJ otherwise. I don't like doing it though, I feel like it's just a matter of time before that window shatters.

So, I guess my answer is yes, very occasionally and in a pinch, but I avoid it if possible.

Completely agree here with the look. I love the full sized Broncos and old K5 Blazers. But wasn't the rear window part of the reason why their tailgates were known to rust out?

Either way, I'm glad I saw this topic because I was wondering if it would hurt the glass or not. Now, it just might look a little funny...gotta try it at least once with the skyslider open too.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I drove my KJ once with the rear glass open. It was a long item & a short trip.

Now if you drive a KJ/KK with the rear glass open won't your exhaust gases come back in?

I've seen Wranglers on the trails before driving with their rear glass open, bad idea. The glass bounces up & down bound to break. I can see that happening to a KJ/KK too on a trail.

sent from my Galaxy SIII & Tapatalk4 beta

Personally, I would never do it on a trail. Those struts are definitely not meant for that much bouncing. Smooth tarmac, hell yeah. I just did it yesterday! :D

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always wondered about riding around with the rear hatch open. I'd only consider it around town, though. I saw one fella driving down the highway with the rear hatch open on a Grand Cherokee, and it was flapping all over the place. I thought it was gonna rip off.
I tried to open my hatch while driving, but the remote to pop the hatch wouldn't work while the KJ was in-gear & rolling.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I tried to open my hatch while driving, but the remote to pop the hatch wouldn't work while the KJ was in-gear & rolling.

It works when you put it in park and then hit the button on the remote.

njpaddler

Reaction score
CO is odorless

Just don't ride with only the rear open, always have all four door windows down, too. The reason ?

Carbon monoxide is odorless, the exhaust will get sucked into the Jeep as you travel, even at slow speeds. If it reaches high enough concentration because you've all other windows closed, you can pass out. At the very least if you have a long enough exposure you will feel feint and have a severe headache, sure signs of CO poisoning. Not a good thing.

IceColeNH

Reaction score
Ive done it several times. Unless youre shocks are practically useless they will let the glass move down some on bigger bumps.

Simply pressing the latch in will turn the lights off and keep the 'glass' off the evic. Pretty easy. Gotta pull the door handle before closing the glass.

Did this many times when I had my Liberty and never had any troubles.
Well except when I parked and my dog whom I gave to much slack on his leash. jumped out. Tried to hang himself while I was getting us breakfast. Had to keep his front paws up on tailgate. Thankfully someone got my attention in the shop. He was OK.
Never had any issues with the glass.

sent from IceCole mobile.

frekeyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done it for when I used to have my great dane. Now I do it if I am picked up a little bit of wood from the hardware store.

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a town run with all the windows down. Works great. Nice breeze, and no buffeting! Air movement was as though driving in a convertible. I have a stick, Yellocoyote, so the park thing won't work for me. I'll have to see if I can pop the rear glass with the engine running, and if the e-brake has to be set.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Yellocoyote, so the park thing won't work for me. I'll have to see if I can pop the rear glass with the engine running, and if the e-brake has to be set.

That's interesting... works for me every time.

Misko

Reaction score
I do it all the time in the summer. All windows open and back glass up. No problems.

So do I, sometimes even on highways at speeds up to 85 mph, but other windows must be open too, otherwise it can suck the exhaust gases inside. Of course I close the hatch on the dirt roads. If not, the car resembles the innards of the old flour mill in no time.

After 12 years still no problems with the hatch. Alas I cannot say this for the hood struts - I have to support the deck with some rod if I don't want to get heavy whack on my head.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do I, sometimes even on highways at speeds up to 85 mph, but other windows must be open too, otherwise it can suck the exhaust gases inside. Of course I close the hatch on the dirt roads. If not, the car resembles the innards of the old flour mill in no time.

After 12 years still no problems with the hatch. Alas I cannot say this for the hood struts - I have to support the deck with some rod if I don't want to get heavy whack on my head.

I've been doing this the last few weeks too!

...and i have the same problem with the hood struts... :(

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a little hatchback years ago with surface mounted truck speakers bolted to the rear gate. There was nowhere else to put them and I wasn't going to stick with the crummy 4" speakers it came with. The speakers made it too heavy for the hatch to stay up.

I would clamp one of these to each silver arm right where it went into the black receiver area when I had the gate open. Worked like a charm.

You must be registered for see images

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rode home the other day with all the windows down and the hatch open. It worked fine with no problems. I did flip the latch so the Jeep thought the hatch was closed.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a little hatchback years ago with surface mounted truck speakers bolted to the rear gate. There was nowhere else to put them and I wasn't going to stick with the crummy 4" speakers it came with. The speakers made it too heavy for the hatch to stay up.

I would clamp one of these to each silver arm right where it went into the black receiver area when I had the gate open. Worked like a charm.

Friend of mine uses the really small vise grips. But the replacement struts are really easy to put on and not that expensive. They were worth the expense to me not to have to mess with carrying a wooden pole with me.

Greta

Reaction score
I have rode with rear glass hatch open, but every time I would someone would say "Hey did you know your rear window is open?"
*facepalm*

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 11 years of life, I guess it's time for those gas struts to go....replaced front and rear, and they were on sale at a stealership. They were cheaper in NJ than NY. Go figure!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score