ridding of brake dust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best to use on cleaning wheels? Can I use some simple green or will it effect the brakes?

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
simple green will etch or mess up the wheels unless you dilute it. there's all kinds of wheel cleaner that you can buy that is clearcoat safe and will not harm the wheels. :D

2003KJ

Reaction score
Not to mention that degreasers tend to dry out the rubber....which isn't good for your tires.

Personally, Westley's Bleach White is my favorite.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that degreasers tend to dry out the rubber....which isn't good for your tires.

Personally, Westley's Bleach White is my favorite.

i personally love the product also, but not for cleaning wheels, tires yes but not on the wheels themselves. i use meguiars wheel brightener to clean mine, i usually try to keep a coat of wax or two on my wheels also to help clean them in the long run. But then again my wheels are painted.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do the wax on the wheels thing too.... i think mine are painted also, just silver. I usually wipe off my wheels every other day or so, so the brake dust doesn't really build up on mine.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about switching to low dust brake pads? I have Rotex Gold on my Crossfire and almost no dust... but, they do not make them for the Liberty.

Does anyone know of a low dust pad for the Liberty?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep came with ceramics and Ive never seen a hint of dust..

Any brand of ceramic pads should have low dusting.. Usually the cheaper pads that a local mechanic shop or the ones you by at an autoparts store will put off alot of dust.

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had brake dust that badly. I wash the wheels with the rest of the Jeep and when I'm done, use a soft cotton rag (possibly damp) over the wheels. They look good for me. However, if you have the chrome wheels, I just tried windex today and it worked awesome.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I had ceramics on my ford ranger with hardly any dust at all. I think Blake's right, mine must have came with ceramics too because I really don't have that much dusting with mine either.