Replacing the Crank Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel

Reaction score
Trying to replace the Crank Sensor on my '03. Looks straightforward, got it unbolted and the harness off, but it's locked in there pretty good.

Any ideas how to get it out? Obviously I don't want to damage it in case I CAN'T get it out and then I'm stuck.

Grab it with channel locks and twist it?

Use a screwdriver and tap the metal tab to loosen it?

Safe to use some type of lubricant in there?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I would spray from PB blaster all around it and let it soak.

Over on Jeepsunlimted a woman posted where her husband had broken the thing off in the block trying to get it out, so BE CAREFUL!

Diesel

Reaction score
Yea, I would spray from PB blaster all around it and let it soak.

Over on Jeepsunlimted a woman posted where her husband had broken the thing off in the block trying to get it out, so BE CAREFUL!

Eeeek. That's what I'm afraid of.

PB Blaster won't affect anything if it gets beyond the sensor a bit?

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had to actually drill them out. and have had one break off and had to drop the oil pan to retrieve it. some you get lucky on and others are a pain. spray some lube around the sensor itself and use an angled pick to scrape the rust as much as you can. rust builds around the lip of the seal and holds the senor in the block. in most cases i've had to break the sensor off flush w/the block and drill through the sensor close to the block, cut the o-ring style seal, remove the seal and the sensor slides right out. you have to be carefull not to push the sensor inward as you will be dropping the front diff and oil pan to go fishing.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wont hurt anything to use PB blaster around it. That much wont make it past the sensor anyway. If it did it wouldnt hurt anything.

rmiller

Reaction score
I was so frustrated trying to get that sensor out of there. Finally, I grabbed my tie rod separator, tapped it into the sensor so that the forks sandwiched it, and with a little leverage whacked the handle with my palm. This backed the thing right up. However, disclaimer: may destroy sensor in the process. Mine was a little beat up after that.