Replacing Seatbelt Latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. As my Jeep gets older, more stuff is just plain getting old and needing replaced. First, I replaced the hood struts at $90, which you can only get through Mopar around here. Next up is the passenger seatbelt latch. I've already bought the latch and its been riding around in the Jeep for a few weeks now. However, I do need to replace it this weekend. Is my best bet just to unbolt the seat and move it back or is there a better way? There is absolutely no way the ratchet will fit between the seat and the center console to get it out that way.

I wanted to buy my skids since I've been saying I would forever, but I think my passenger's safety is slighly more important.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I haven't taken the seats out of a Liberty... yet... but I'd imagine that it would be easiest to just yank the seat out. I have taken the seat out of a Durango... and well let's just say that replacing the seatbelt latch would have been much easier without the seat in the way.

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj,
I just replaced the passenger seat belt buckle in my 05 CRD, my son's border collie ate it. The best way is to unbolt the passenger seat from the floor and use a heavy duty T-50 socket to remove the buckle. If I recall the seat is held in by 15 and 18 mm bolts. The 18mm required a deep socket.
Lewis

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tulsa said:
desertkj,
I just replaced the passenger seat belt buckle in my 05 CRD, my son's border collie ate it. The best way is to unbolt the passenger seat from the floor and use a heavy duty T-50 socket to remove the buckle. If I recall the seat is held in by 15 and 18 mm bolts. The 18mm required a deep socket.
Lewis

Thanks a lot. I may need to go buy a deep socket 18 mm. Of course, I've kinda been wanting a torque wrench too :-$

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard issue in my tool box. Sears had the Craftsman torque wrenches on sale before Christmas so I picked up still another one. You can never have too much Craftsman.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Standard issue in my tool box. Sears had the Craftsman torque wrenches on sale before Christmas so I picked up still another one. You can never have too much Craftsman.
Nope. I love Craftsman. Great quality and usually very affordable. By the way, in case anyones wondering, a dealer wants $58 to replace a seat belt for 30 min. of work.

Latest posts

Members online