Replacing power mirrors with heated mirrors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpliberty04

Reaction score
Can I replace my factory folding power side mirrors with the heated power folding mirrors without special modifications or would I need to change the wiring to make the switch? I'm hoping it's a simple 'plug-n-play' install. Thanks!

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. IF you had a Limited. On a Sport, I am 90% positive you don't have the right wiring. The heated mirrors are 5 wires, the power mirrors are 3, and inside your door will be an 8 wire harness. It's as simple as popping the door off, loosening 3 bolts, and swapping them out. 5 minutes a door, tops.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the titan is is probably off on this one, and ironically its because of a pms he sent me that believe this is the case. He gave me info on how to wire the mirrors for auto dimming a little while back. Not too long after that i pulled off the door trim to fix a rattle and took a picture of the connector so i would know which pins had connections for when i tackled the auto dim project later. Turns out in my sport model, 7 of the 8 pins were wired, the lone wire missing was for pin 7, the power folding mirror feed. Make sense, i think the power folding mirror is a Euro thing.

Here's a link to the thread where the titan posted the wire pin outs of for the mirror. Taking a look at the FSM, it doesn't look like things have changed at all from year to year. Its kind of a poor diagram, but here's a diagram of the mirror connector coming out of the door...the litte "^"s at the top are tabs on the connector. It will be more clear what i mean if/when you pull off the trim.
_^-^_
| 1 5 |
| 2 6 |
| 3 7 |
| 4 8 |
------
If you really want me to post the somewhat blurry pic, i'll pull it off my phone and upload it somewhere. But short story long, it still makes sense to pull off your trim and see for yourself which wires are there. Chances are if my sport was wired for it, yours probably is also. If they are, its plug and play.

Edited to add diagram...

Last edited:

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
******* :)

Like I said, I don't know what the wiring situation is in a Sport. So apparently they do have a fully populated harness. I had heard there was a strong chance otherwise, but you never know until you pop the door and look. My Charger R/T came without a harness in the A-Pillar for the UConnect mirror, while SE models came with it and like 99% of R/Ts had it. It's always hit or miss as to whether you get some weird wire. Just like this debate over whether or not you need the supplementary wiring harness for the trailer hitch. Some have it already, some don't, and you never know if you need it, regardless of trim and packages, until you pop the panel and look. Stupid Chrysler

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed...there's no way to tell what you wiring you have until you look. There's a lot of great info around here for a lot of projects...but no two installs ever seem to work out the same.

Yea i know, kind of cold to take all the info you gave me and then use it like that...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget heated mirrors.. We need dimming mirrors!

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make them...I have them. All the wiring is there already, you just have to splice into it from the rearview mirror so they are all hooked together.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They make them for Grand Cherokee or other DC vehicles, and if the size fits, it is possible, otherwise it is such a shame that it was not made available as option.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not listening...they make them for the Liberty... And the Liberty is specifically wired for them.