Replacing Fan que?tions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peterbilt379

Reaction score
Helllooo...

We drive belt / serp. belt frayed on my wife's jeep last night... boo

Oh yeah, intro first?

I'm Preston, and I'm over the road trucker... I'm a member of other forums and understand the value of forum communities and getting help and whatnot...

Anyways, in the process of the belt getting shredded, it severed / put a hole in an ac line that runs directly above AC compressor...

My friend helped her get the belt on and everything (i'm on the road) and that son of a gun left a wrench in the single fan that we had installed (friend installed it, aftermarket and not the dual fan that comes with it, right?).... burnt up the fan motor I suppose... She drove about 30 miles on the interstate and when she got stopped, I guess the lack of air flow caused it to over heat a bit.. She told me she shut her down after smelling a foul odor and stated that the water temp with up to 3/4.

I got back into town and looked and confirmed there was indeed a wrench stuck in the dang fan and checked the oil. Looks alright. The AC line from the condenser is indeed severed and leaked all of the Freon out. I ran a line from a 12v power source to the fan directly and it turned weakly... left my fingerprints on the wire I was using, lol.. Checked the relay and they look alright...

My quessstion is this:

Pretty straight forward removal and installation? Do I need to remove the hood latch assembly?

Called a friend up and they will have me a fan in the AM (Dual fan, stock, I presume)

The connector has three wires, Yellow, Black, Yellow. Hopefully that was the stock one..

This jeep has been great... no problems other than the belt giving out last night and the original fan gave out a while back (I was not present for removal and installation) Bout 100,*** on it, and every once in a while when the wife's not looking, I'll take it out on the farm give it some jeep loving crawling.

Thanks in advanced!

(Oh yea, I did a very cursory search of the forums and came up negative... don't hold that against me, lol... I tried)

-Preston

If I get some answers, I'll PM a popular user or mod and send pics and stuff on how to remove and install it, (Shouldn't be that hard anyways) and you can do a sticky on removal and installation write up.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To replace the electric fan in a non-HD cooling system is super easy.One connector and two 10mm head bolts and it comes right out,about 60 seconds to replace.More difficult if you have HD cooling as the mechaincal fan must come out 1st then the shroud which houses the fan comes out via 2 bolts,then unbolt fan from the shroud.

Peterbilt379

Reaction score
Yeah. It was not very hard at all. I only got a brief glance at it beforehand. Everything works good. Got a new fan for $112.00.

Now on to repairing the ac now.