Replacement tires dilemma--Load Ratings and other things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am needing to replace some 255/70/16 Scorpions that are on my '02 Liberty LTD. Was looking to go to General Grabber AT2s--but I'm noticing the higher load rating (E) is only available in 245/75/16s in this tire. Really unsure about the difference between the AT2s vs. the Scorpions as it is in terms of rubbing, etc. in the same size I have (the Scorpions don't really rub right now) -- plus I'd like to not have to buy 5 tires (ideally would prefer to move one of my existing 255/70s to the spare).

Is there going to be a big performance hit if I go with the lower load rating? This vehicle is mostly used on the road but I want it to remain reasonably capable offroad as well.

Thanks.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There won't be any performance loss with less load rating, but make sure you don't go lower than the stock tires. I think anything no less than 875kg (103) will be fine.