Replaced solenoid, now new transmission codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vandyboy

Reaction score
About three weeks ago, my '05 Liberty with AT wouldn't shift into third gear. All I had to do was turn the car on and off. Last week, this happened again, the engine light came on and it was stuck in limp mode. I pulled the codes and they showed I had a bad solenoid pack. I replaced it, the transmission shifted fine for two gear cycles and then back to the engine light and limp mode. Now my codes are 733 and 734 - out of gear ratio for third and fourth gears.

Has anyone had this problem? What could possibly cause these codes? I hate to say this, but I think the transmission needs to be rebuilt.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it does sound like a rebuild as clutch packs are probably worn.
How many miles on the trans now?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Take it to a transmission shop and get the Clutch Value Indexes read, that'll tell you the exact condition of the clutches.

vandyboy

Reaction score
By the way, is there any use in replacing the speed and pressure sensors before giving up on the current transmission?

I have access to an 07 AT Liberty transmission. However, it has an outside neutral safety switch and my friend believes a different wiring harness. Does that sound right to you and would it work in an '05?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think 07s had variable line pressure as well, which an 05 or 06 would not.

vandyboy

Reaction score
Does that mean I cannot install an '07 Liberty 42RLE transmission in an 05?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think you could but I'm not 100% sure how that system works and if you could disable it/convert it easily.

vandyboy

Reaction score
I don't think you could but I'm not 100% sure how that system works and if you could disable it/convert it easily.

Thanks again for your help. I have called a local Jeep dealer to make sure the '07 transmission in can be swapped to an '05. I found out from the service writer the '07 transmissions are 42RLE VLT.

Latest posts

Members online