Replace 6-Disc with Sirius?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this over at LOST, but I still haven't gotten any replies. So, I am hoping for some better luck over here. I have a 2002 KJ with the standard stereo and the 6-Disc changer in the rear cargo area. My question is, if I remove the 6-Disc with there be an Aux port or something like that which I could run Sirius to. I have the XM MyFi going through my tape right now, but I'm not happy with XM and I want a cleaner, factory look. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand what you are asking you can get a Sirisu install kit for use with the 6 disc rear mounted changer and have the use of both, sirius and the changer

Bob

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, I didn't know that. I'll have to try to find that. Is Mopar who would sell that? Sorry if the question is vague, it's kind of hard to explain. Also, do you know if I would be able to use the steering wheel mounted controls on the satellite radio? I didn't do much research before and now regret that I spent $200 on the MyFi as the audio isn't very good and neither is the XM programming.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get a Sirius install kit from the dealer there are 2 available, one is for a cd changer and the other is for no cd changer, the one for the changer has what I am calling a multiplexer that allows use of the Sirius and the changer, and both kits cost the same. The steering wheel controls will function with Sirius, one tip, if you are get the Mopar set up, receiver and antenna, make sure you get the latest version, Chrysler had problems with first gen Sirius tuners and a couple months ago came out with a revised one, the old style had 2 wire from the antenna to the tuner, the new ones only use 1 wire.

Bob

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the responses. This answered a lot of questions for me.

robotmonkey

Reaction score
Dunno what the Mopar parts will run you, but you can also purchase a device that will plug into the CD bus port in your factory head unit for about $70. The device I use gives me 2 AUX inputs via RCA connectors.

You can then install any Sirius plug-and-play device you want. A Sirius radio will run you anywhere from $20 (Circuit City had a sale that combined with various rebates for a low-end model) on up. A Starmate Replay like mine is about $80 after rebate, I believe.

A particularly intelligent and sexy guy wrote up a how-to for the whole process here on this site:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2807

Good luck!

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My replies were based on the comment that a factory look was desired, when I bought my install kit back in June the cost was $112.00, I already had the tuner and antenna, if you need to buy the tuner and antenna they cost approx $150.00, you can also get it as a complete kit, but as robotmonkey stated there are a lot less expensive options

I also noticed for 06 the antenna is about a 1/4 the size of the previous ones, been trying to get a part number to see if I can swap to the new style

Bob

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I kind of am going for a factory look. I think I finally figured it all out and found out what I need, although it's going to cost a little more than I planned. I didn't realize that the tuner & antenna was $150 and the installation kit is almost the same price. Oh well. Thanks everyone for responding.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One word of caution, if you are going to drill the hole in the roof, the instructions tell you to place a piece of cardboard above the headliner where you are going to drill, my suggestion is to use something else, perhaps a piece of tin or something like that, there were wires right where the hole needs to be drilled, I nicked it but did not cut it but could of easily been cut.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online