Removing Tar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
So whats the best method of removing Tar? I'm talking about tar that's sat on a vehicle for roughly 3 months, through cold and hot temps. No it's not my Jeep before you freak out Blake :rolleyes:

My buddy brought his truck over today for me to detail and I couldn't get the stuff off. NONE of my tricks that have always worked for me in the past worked. The bug and tar removers are crap, I had one laying around and gave it a try just for the hell of it. WD-40 didn't do the trick (which has ALWAYS worked for me in the past).

So what do yall use?

shadow3612

Reaction score
You can try Kerosene ( scented lamp oil ) but find a small test area first as with anything ya put on and if its really stubborn use a soft scrub pad that is non abrasive. I used this once or twice and it worked pretty good but i'm not sure how well if its been there for awhile...If you try it let me know how it worked out for you...

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally I use 3m adhesive remover, seems to work wonders for me, just have to remember to wash and wax afterwards because the 3m will remove the wax also.

ups4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used regular ole unleaded gasoline.
Of course you need to wash the affected area immediately. Then re-wax it.

87 octane works as good as any.:p

Paul
________
buy no2

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
Looks like i'll have to plan to spend a good part of a Saturday detailing his truck with a good wash and a good coat of rejex.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I am glad I found this thread, I got a bit of road gooo on the a-pillar of my JK...I guess I will need to get something to get it off...just noticed it tonight....

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would just be cautious of anything that is used as a thinner - eg. goo gone/paint thinner - it will eat away at the clearcoat finish on the vehicle over time and create a dull spot, which can cause your paint to be exposed and chip

blasterproducts.com - they make PB Blaster, they also have a sticker/adhesive removal solution. though i have not used it, i would be cautious on painted surface, glass who cares, scrape it :)

catman

Reaction score
removing tar= wd40 sap= gasoline antifreeze

try this they worked great for me

2003KJ

Reaction score
Guess I shoulda updated it...

Ended up going the Gasoline route....87 Octane worked great!