Removing oil filter on a 2004 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwc

Reaction score
What tool is best to remove the oil filter?

I've tried a socket wrench with an 18" extension bar that fits into the square hole in an end cap oil filter wrench. The cap has the correct diameter to fit on the fluted end of the filter. However, the cap just rounds off the flutes and spins.

There also isn't enough room to turn a filter wrench with a nylon or steel strap or a pliers-type filter-wrench.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a strap type filter wrench, and just get 1/16 turns on it to get it started. It is very tight in there, but it's doable. Instead of tightening the strap onto the filter by levering the handle, manipulate the strap separately with your hand to get it snugged onto the filter, then turn the handle. Once you've got a few turns you can get it off with hand strength. When you put the new filter back on, don't torque it on too tight. Just snug plus 1/4 turn or so.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the cup wrench fits the filter really good? I like to grab a filter off the self for my Jeep in the parts store and find a cup wrench that fits it really good. Problem I had when my Jeep was new was it had a mopar filter on it so I couldnt do that.

To get it off, I drilled a hole in the side of the cup wrench so I could put a huge nail through the oil filter. Made a heck of a mess but that thing was on there TIGHT(was a known problem with new kj's). After that Ive never had that problem again since I do not over tighten the filters when I change the oil.

Make sure the seal comes off with the filter.

crazy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an oil filter wrench with a swivel handle gives enough room to work and enough leverage to get the job done.

Dusty

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reach down and twist with your hand.

Next time don't tighten it so hard.

If its stick bad, stab a long screw driver through it and use that to twist torque it off.
Jeepsters idea is pretty good, similar to using a screw driver.