rear u-joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how often do they go out???
my kj starting develop a clicking and it sounds like it's coming from the rear shaft...any thoughts guys??? Are they hard to cange

just as a reference I got 160xxx milrd.

thankx guys

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have how many miles on them? Mine chews up a set of u-joints every 50K kms. Might have to do with the lift buggering the driveline angles. Until I can get a set of adjustable lower control arms to change the pinion angle I guess I'll live with it. The u-joints here are like $20 each and it takes me less than an hour to swap them out.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have how many miles on them? Mine chews up a set of u-joints every 50K kms. Might have to do with the lift buggering the driveline angles. Until I can get a set of adjustable lower control arms to change the pinion angle I guess I'll live with it. The u-joints here are like $20 each and it takes me less than an hour to swap them out.

so that clicking sound like IT IS the u- joints....is it really hard to do it??

thankx for ur response man

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always get under your KJ, grab the shaft and try and turn it. See how much slack there is in the joint between the shaft and the pinion yoke. Clicking isn't what mine does. Usually it develops a vibe in the floor under acceleration.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always get under your KJ, grab the shaft and try and turn it. See how much slack there is in the joint between the shaft and the pinion yoke. Clicking isn't what mine does. Usually it develops a vibe in the floor under acceleration.

mmmm so no clicking for you....what else you think it could cuz the clicking I'm getting at low speed

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the clicking under acceleration, braking, during turns.....? Do you have rear ABS or that Traction control crap? Need a bit more info to help diagnose.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the clicking under acceleration, braking, during turns.....? Do you have rear ABS or that Traction control crap? Need a bit more info to help diagnose.

no no abs it's started when coming to a stop and now it clicks at low speed....

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I figured out wheres coming from....from the left rear tire, and it seems is got somethin to do with the e-brake, or maybe just pads, don't know yet, I'll find out tomorrow, I'm rotating my tires anyways

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's defenetly coming from the e-brake, I'll look at it but everything seems to be right, I checked the pads and they still have a while to go....maybe the e-brake needs adjustment ,

does anybody knows how to mess with it

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The E-brake is supposed to be self adjusting. There is the star-wheel adjuster that is supposed to remove the slack from the brakes every time you back up and apply the e-brake (at least, that's how it works on old drum brake systems). Try backing up and using the e-brake to stop the KJ. Might take a few reverse-stop cycles to get rid of any slack between the tiny shoes and the drum part of the rotor.

Check your in box, I just PM'd you.

Last edited:

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The E-brake is supposed to be self adjusting. There is the star-wheel adjuster that is supposed to remove the slack from the brakes every time you back up and apply the e-brake (at least, that's how it works on old drum brake systems). Try backing up and using the e-brake to stop the KJ. Might take a few reverse-stop cycles to get rid of any slack between the tiny shoes and the drum part of the rotor.

thankx man, I used the search button and found a couple helpful threads, but I'm thinking is not the adjustment, do you know if the e-brake has it's own little pads???

I have dics rotors not drums, my 97 eclipse had it's own pads for the-brake, I'm wondering if the kj is like that.....do you know???

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, there's two wee little shoes on each side. A mini drum brake within the "hat" portion of the brake rotor. I' tried to cut-n-paste a pic but the .pdf pub wouldn't allow it.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, there's two wee little shoes on each side. A mini drum brake within the "hat" portion of the brake rotor. I' tried to cut-n-paste a pic but the .pdf pub wouldn't allow it.

o ok, I took the wheel off this morning while I was rotating my tires and removed the rear caliper but didn't find anything wrong, but I forgot to remove the rotor and inspect the hand brake pads, .....I will tomorrow.
I shoukd be able to find those pads at the local auto parts right? They shouldn't be anything special,

thankx again