Rear Gate / Glass problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hexamet

Reaction score
I have an 02 Liberty. When I try to open the rear gate, the rear window doesn't automatically pop open. I have to click on the key fob to open the rear window first, then open the rear gate. Any idea what the problem could be? I lubed the latch with lithium grease, but it did not solve the problem.

BMR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont exactly know of a fix right off hand, but on my 05, even with the glass and gate open I can pull the handle and hear that its still triggering the release for the window glass.

If you can still hear that it's trying to work, you may want to investigate the mechanism. If its not even trying, then maybe a fuse or something?

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to manually open the rear window because the struts on the window have become worn out. If I am understanding you correctly, that could be the problem

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the window pops open fine using the key fob, then the problem is isolated to the tailgate handle. When you pull the tailgate handle, it actuates the release for the rear glass to pop open. Obviously, something is wrong with that actuator. There must be some kind of internal relay or switch either built into the tailgate handle or somewhere around there that actuates the glass latch, and that is probably what is faulty. All of this is speculation on my part - I've never had the problem or heard of it...let us know what you find!

razzerx

Reaction score
There is a small switch that is part of the handle. This is what pops the glass.

WVKJ

Reaction score
I have the same problem, but for different reasons;). 150db+ isn't easy on glass, i'm actually suprised it has held thus far.

land_shark

Reaction score
I think I'm having the same problem. the rear window release used to work when I pulled the gate handle half way. Now there is no click and I have to use the fob to pop it open.

I can't seem to find any info regarding a fuse or a relay in the owner's manual. Any ideas? ...I'm going to took at the gate handle for a gummed up switch this evening.

Thanks,
Jason

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evidently its a problem with the handle if it works just fine with the fob.

I would take the paneling off the door and see if there was same way to check the switch. Never had mine apart so idk how its wired up or what it looks like.