Rear Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wazmer

Reaction score
I’m having issues with the rear brakes on my 06. Calipers appear to be causing dragging that is getting progressively worse.

My question is, is it common for calipers to go bad on these? Or could it be an issue with the proportioning valve?

It’s got 215k miles, 80k that I’ve put on it. I’ve never replaced the front brakes and they still have plenty of pad

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Could very well be a bad caliper
or the rubber hose coming down from body to the rear diff
They can go bad, swell up and will not let pressure back off when you release the brake pedal
Its not common, no but as with any vehicle it can happen

Wazmer

Reaction score
Could very well be a bad caliper
or the rubber hose coming down from body to the rear diff
They can go bad, swell up and will not let pressure back off when you release the brake pedal
Its not common, no but as with any vehicle it can happen
Thanks. I figured it wasn’t common, what’s got me thinking it may not be the caliper is that it appears to be happening to both sides almost evenly

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Both of my rear calipers needed replacement when I put new pads on. Front calipers were fine. Old pads hadn't worn to metal so there wasn't any overheating. Only towed a trailer a little for short distances. Didn't ford any streams or live near saltwater. It has ABS which I treat as a warning to drive better. Only been romped on hard for a wayward moose and a stop sign in the middle of absolute nowhere. Got the parking brake working for the first time since new while I was in there.

Wazmer

Reaction score
Sounds like what I need to do. I’d love to have a parking brake. The ABS and traction control not working does make you much more careful. I do Ford small streams and have towed a small trailer with 4wheeler on 2 hr long trips.
I did also pull the rubber boot back and grease the cylinder as best I could when I replaced the pads last. Hard to tell if it’s helped at this point

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Parking brake is fiddly to adjust but it's old school drum brake stuff. Center the shoes with the lever and adjust the star nuts with the wheels in the air for a very slight drag. Then remove the center console and take up the cables' slack evenly on the transfer bar until the handle can only go three or four clicks. Release the lever and check the slight drag at each rear wheel to make sure the drag is still slight. If the backing plate has rusted too much or come loose then all bets are off.

Latest posts

Members online