Rear axle looks like its leaking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My co-worker and I were changing out some out tail lights and he noticed that my rear axle had fluid on it. When I got under the truck, it looked like it was leaking around the shaft. Any ideas of what it is.... or how much it's going to cost to fix it? I just goot a lift kit and I need new tires too, so I really wish this didn't happen... If it is even bad at all....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear pinion seal is cheap and an easy fix if that is what you are referring to.

Dave

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to bring back an old thread. Dave, do you have a price idea as to how much it would cost? i can't really do the work myself. Ive heard bad things about some type of crush sleeve as well

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not Dave but,

I'd expect to pay for 1hr labor charge (though it doesn't take that long), seal will be $20ish, quart of gear oil @ $15.

Not really that hard a project to do yourself. Pull driveshaft, make index/reference marks on pinion shaft end and pinion nut, count threads at your reference marks, remove pinion nut and pinion yoke. Yoke can normally be removed by tapping ears with a hammer (ears on yoke, NOT yours), for a stubborn one a steering wheel puller with appropriate bolts will have it off easilly. Use a prybar/AKA screwdriver to pry the old seal out, then carefully tap the new one in, working around it carefully so as not to warp it. Place yoke back on shaft and tighten nut until your index marks and thread count line up. Top off with grease. This would be a great time to pull the back cover, drain, and refill with all fresh grease. To have a shop do it, add an additional $100 for grease exchange.

Bob