Really need help and suggestions please! ticking from motor top end....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luvmykj

Reaction score
Hey everyone. First off let me say Im glad to have a group of such awesome people to help me! Heres what i have going on.....

I have an 02 libby with the 3.7 auto. Has 89k (crazy low i know) and yesterday I went outside to warm her up. outside temp was 31 ish. i let her run for about 5 minutes before revving her up to about 2k rpms as always while warming it up. As soon as i let go of the gas and she idled at just between 500 and 1k, the motor started tapping...... i immediately shut her down and checked the oil. it was almost dry. F**K me!!! I still had another 1500 miles to go for an oil change!!!!

So i filled her up with oil and added Lucas oil heavy duty stabilizer like i always do with oil changes and unfortunately shes still tapping. It only taps up to around 1.5 rpm then stops as i drive and am on the gas a little.

I will post a video in about a half hour so you can hear.

i have researched a little and found a video that sounds like mine and it says a wrist pin. Heres my questions......

Anyone have any ideas of where to start in diagnosing where exactly the nose is coming from? Or do I have to take it apart and look for broken rods and lifters and shit?

Also, How hard is it to replace anything on the top of my motor when it comes to pistons, rods and wrist pins? I am an intermediate mechanic with access to everything i need to do the job and a helping hand with experience lol.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! I love my Jeep and cant let her die!

Thank you all in advance!

Members online

No members online now.